• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Furniture, etc..left behind

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? oklahoma

My daughter and her ex-boyfriend shared an apartment for 6 months. ALL of the items in it were hers, mostly purchased by me, for her and my infant granddaughter. They broke up a few months ago and I helped her get out a large amount of items but she stupidly gave him her copy of the apt. key and he never allowed her back in to get the rest of the items.

She and I both have Protective Orders against him. I have Legal Guradianship of the baby. Many of the items were the baby's belongings and my court papers claim that I am to have control over her estate.

Also we would like to file for half of all monies due that insurance didnt cover for the birth of the baby. My daughter has tried to pay on some of the bills, but they have all gone to collections.

Do we have a case? The personal property plus medical bills come to be about $4000. To file here in OK it will cost me $150 plus extra fees for servicing and garnishments (believe me, it will be hard to get him to pay/admit he has her things)

He doesnt pay Child Support, plus is currently charged with Felony Larceny and possession for theft at my home during a court ordered child visit.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Last edited:

JETX

Copperarab said:
Do we have a case? The personal property plus medical bills come to be about $4000. To file here in OK it will cost me $150 plus extra fees for servicing and garnishments (believe me, it will be hard to get him to pay/admit he has her things)
Based solely on your post, I think you have a PART of a case.
You can probably recover the value of the property improperly withheld.
However, unless your daughter has a specific repayment agreement as to the costs of delivery, I doubt that she will recover her claim for half of the expenses (this is PURELY up to the decision of the judge as to equity).

He doesnt pay Child Support
Why not??? Why hasn't your daughter gotten a court order for support??

How old was your daughter at the time of conception... and how old was he. Is it possible that criminal charges could be made on the relationship??

JetX,

Geesh sorry I didnt get back to answer you...

She filled out papers for child support, we are just waiting for them to contact us in regards to court etc...(his name is on the birth certificate and he was ordered to do a DNA test during the protective order proceedings)

Amanda was 17 yrs old when she got pregnant. He was 19 yrs old. At the time, she was covered by my husbands insurance. I paid all of what wasnt covered myself (about $500) until she turned 18 yrs old. The baby was born 1 week before her 18th birthday, but the law sees her as being an 'adult' due to the birth, prior to her actual 18th b-day.

Why wouldnt he be liable for half of the costs? He made the child, they lived together at the time (in my house) and now he gets visitation rights. I think he should pay for a part of the bills!

Thanks!

Lisa

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">