• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

not-at-fault accident ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cdailey

What is the name of your state? Florida

On 8/13/04, someone rear-ended my van. It was definitely the other driver's fault. No one was hurt, but both cars sustained damage. Police came and wrote up accident. Seemed cut-and-dry.

Problem: I called her insurance company, but they denied coverage, because it was not her car...it was her boyfriend's. I called my insurance company last week, and they suggested that I contact the people and get her boyfriend's insurance information. I tried calling...left a message last Wed night (9/1/04), and he left me a message the same evening (telling me to call him the next evening). I called back on 9/2/04, twice on 9/3/04, and once on 9/4/04 (even left them an alternate phone number). He has not called me back. Yesterday (9/7/04) I called my insurance company back and told them what was happening. They set me up with a claims adjuster (who I saw today) and he gave me a check to fix my car less the $500 deductible. He told me that they (my insurance company) will "actively pursue" the other person's insurance and the first $500 my insurance collects will be returned to me.

Question: If my insurance company is not able to collect the deductible, what other recourse do I have? Why don't some people want to be responsible for their actions? (yes, I am a little frustrated.)

teflon_jones

ditto the above response, you'd have to sue in small claims court.

personally, i would have refused the settlement from my insurance company and demanded they settle it with the other insurance company. but now that you've accepted their settlement, it's too late.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">