• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I was dooped

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bwitty75

What is the name of your state? KY

I was called for a job interview with a Fortune 500 company that "helps families get out of debt and reach their financial goals and dreams through means of a financial plan.

Through the interview process I was given false information ie. how much money my boss made, how many hours he worked, he showed me a sample plan that he claimed was a real family with changed names (it wasn't, it was a hypothetical family). These are only a few examples of lying that took place, but he made the opportunity look golden when it was not, in order to make money within my circle of friends and family. I am out several hundred dollars now and wonder if I have a legal case or should just drop it.

I've made this very short, but maybe it doesn't fully explain my situation. But when I informed my boss I was leaving the company because he was lying to the recruits he made the comment, "you realize you could sue me and win if you're right?" Attempting to make me think I was way off base, but I'm 100% sure I'm right. Thanks

C

chrissie

I am out several hundred dollars now
Since when does one have to pay for the privilege of working for someone else?

Are you sure you were hired as an employee, or were you an independent contractor? There is a big difference between a "job" and a "business opportunity."

If you were an employee, the company has the obligation of complying with federal and state employment laws and paying you the wages you earned. If you were not paid, you can file a claim with the Dept. of Labor.

If you were a contractor, then you'll need to review the contract to which you agreed to render services. See if it was breached in any way. If so, you may have a claim. But if you agreed to assume certain risks and pay certain monies and that is what occurred, then stick a fork in you, you're done. Time to move on.

Otherwise, if you think there is an overall breach of the public trust and the company is acting improperly, you could file a complaint with your local dept. of consumer affairs.

Either way, do yourself a favor. Next time you go on a "job interview" and the boss asks YOU for money, run--don't walk--out of there.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">