• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being Sued In Dc

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ELVARA

What is the name of your state? DISTRIC OF COLUMBIA

I HAVE BEEN SUED IN SMALL CLAIM COURT IN THE SUPERIOR CIRCUIT COURT IN DC.
A VERY SLEAZY LAWYER WHO ADVERTIZED IN THE WEB AS A DEBT COLLECTOR CONVINCED ME TO PAY HIM $3500 TO LEGALLY REPRESENT ME TO CONFRONT A DEBTOR. AFTER HE RECEIVED THE MONIES THROUGH PAYPAL, HE JUST GAVE ME A REFERRAL AND ATRACE THAT I CAN GET IT FOR FREE IN THE WEB MYSELF. WHEN I DEMANDED TO SEND LETTER S TO THE DEBTOR AND THEIR ASSOCIATES/FAMILIES HE DID NOT COMPLIED WITH IT, INSTEAD HE USE THReATS AND INTIMIDATION TO BREACH CONTRACT AND CANCEL THE AGREEMENT. facing a deceptive practice from this individual, I disputed the paypal charges and asked the credit card bank to reverse the charges. Following a series of emails, the crook sued me in small claim court.

Since the contract that this debt collector sent me states that he will provide me 'legal representation", CAN I HAVE A CASE TO WIN IT?

WHAT IS THE BEST AVENUE TO AT LEAST PAY THE MINIMUM POSSIBLE?

WHAT WILL HAPPEN AT THE PRE TRIAL DATE?..WILL THE JUDGE GIVE A FINAL RESOLUTION ON HIS BEST JUDGEMENT THAT DAY?

HOW CAN I GET BEST PREPARED FOR THAT DAY IN SMALL CLAIM COURT?

YOUR HELP IS APPRECIATED. I HAVE NEVER BEEN IN SMALL CLAIMS.

JETX

Forum Rules, from the top of the screen:
Please Include your state, be civil, brief, and to the point, and use lower case letters.

cmorris

Do you have proof of the breach of contract/false advertisement?

No one can predict what a judge will determine.

IMO, the best way to become acquainted with small claims to sit in and watch. If you can, try to sit in one with your judge (if you know who it is).

While the burden of proof is on the plaintiff, you will want to be prepared with evidence (see first question). Do you have any?

JETX

ELVARA said:
Now, What about an advise?..thx in advance.
What about editing your post so that you are in compliance with the rules... then we will see about accurate advice.
Your choice... your call.

ELVARA

Thank you cmorris and jetx for the follow up. Yes i have some evidences. All this incident happened thru the Internet. thru emails and phone calls. I have never met the plaintiff. when he sent me the contract agreement to sign, I just sent him the last page signed via email..is this a valid evidence for the plaintiff?. Preview to sending the signed page I had a phone conversation with the plaintiff clarifying that I would send the monies based on his commitment to actual professional legal representation that will include to contact the debtor and other parties to make a case of fraud. also, I have emails of our arguments and disagreements and most of my evidences are based on phone conversations.

My main argument is that he was paid for a full month, but he breached the agreement early in the month with the excuse that I was not be able to pay the second month payment...all this via email. And during that month, he did not make any attempt to contact the debtor as my legal representative.

Also the monies was sent using my family paypal account. The plaintiff used that excuse to include my son who is in school, in the suit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">