• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Customer stopped payment on a check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Christinas94

What is the name of your state? Florida.

We our a software company and charge a monthly maintenance fee. We require our clients to sign a one year contract and the only way to discontinue services is to give us 30 days written notice. (which is clearly in the contract) We had an upset client awhile ago, and although he never gave us notice of terminating services with us, I recieved his check back from the bank as a stop payment. I am assuming that every check he has paid us since that check, will also come back as a stop payment. What can I do? He must hold true to his contract but what do I need to do to enforce this? We've never had this happen before. is this illegal for him to do? Any help would be great appreciated!

Christina

P.S. If all checks come back as a stop payment it will be around $1,185.00

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Christinas94 said:
What is the name of your state? Florida.

We our a software company and charge a monthly maintenance fee. We require our clients to sign a one year contract and the only way to discontinue services is to give us 30 days written notice. (which is clearly in the contract) We had an upset client awhile ago, and although he never gave us notice of terminating services with us, I recieved his check back from the bank as a stop payment. I am assuming that every check he has paid us since that check, will also come back as a stop payment. What can I do? He must hold true to his contract but what do I need to do to enforce this? We've never had this happen before. is this illegal for him to do? Any help would be great appreciated!

Christina

P.S. If all checks come back as a stop payment it will be around $1,185.00

My response:

Is the dog wagging the tail, or is the tail wagging the dog?

Don't let the customer get away with this. It doesn't matter that the client was "dissatisfied". The dissatisfaction becomes vitiated when he writes and delivers a check to you. Therefore, that defense won't work in court.

Speaking of court, have you ever heard of Small Claims court? That's where contracts like yours belong. Start filing.

IAAL

C

Christinas94

Is what he did illegal? Are there any laws about this?

He is in Utah, and we are in Florida.

Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">