• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What Can I Do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bjobjs

What is the name of your state?CA

When my son was 16 he had a 19 year old friend. She didn't try and hide the fact that they were sexually active. She constantly hung on him. His father and I talked till we were blue in the face trying to convince this friend that she needed to find someone her own age. I even went to her parents and tried to get them to see reason. And although they say they didn't care for my son and their daughters relationship and tried to keep them apart they cared even less about their daughter. I won't lie my son was ecstatic with his new found manhood. (HA)

I finally had enough and called the local police department, the district attorney's office and the sherriff's department and blatantly requested that charges be brought against my son's friend. What a joke this was and a waste of my time. The P.D. said they would have an officer take my complaint. (didn't happen) The D.A's office had an investigator question me briefly and said he'd look into it. (didn't happen) And the sherrif's department referred me to the juvenile probation office. When I called back to these offices to see what was being done I was told that they had spoken with the friend and she denied any sexual activity.

Prior to my sons 17th birthday the courts placed him in a boys camp for nine months for possession of alcohol. Thank goodness for small miracles. That was one way of eliminating the friend. WRONG! At 17 & her 20, my son came home to find that he now had twin daughters. I know the rules "YOU PLAY YOU PAY" and he will but if the birth of the children aren't proof enough that my son's friend lied about sexual activity what is?

What I want to know is she continues to try and hang on and he's home with a whole new attitude (I blame it on the camp) and trying to take care of his responsibilities (the twins) and other than placing a restraining order against the friend, which will cause her animosity, WHAT CAN I DO? He's still a minor and she's an adult. WHAT CAN I DO? :confused:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
If your son won't listen to you, the g/f won't listen to you, and you're not willing to file for a restraining order - nothing.

CdwJava

I'm amazed that there is a county in CA that would send a child away to youth camp for possession of alcohol. There HAS to be more to the tale than simply possessing alcohol because custody is not usually even an option ... unless he has a history of problems.

As for the rest of it, most DA's offices in CA received grants to pay for personnel to prosecute stat. rape and related sex crimes several years back. If they chose not to follow-through, there was something wrong or weak about the case.

Now, with him 17 and her 20, they seem to have some great DNA (the kids). But, at his current age, my guess is that the county does not want to be responsible for the raising of the children so they are opting to make him be responsible - like it or not.

Personally I'd say it's too late to get the R/O against her because now there are children in the mix. The time for that would have been a few years back.

Revel in the fact that he will soon be 18 and then you can tell him "goodbye, good luck, and write when you find work". In the meantime, 'tough love' might be a good resource. Make him earn goodies back ... like clothes, a real bed, TV, etc. There are a lot of ideas and support in this organization.

http://www.toughlove.org/

Good luck.

Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">