• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Stolen - Examination Under Oath?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

soohk

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

Not even a month after I moved into the city from the suburbs my car was stolen. The police found my totaled car in the town I had just moved from. This is terribly ironic because 1. One of the reasons I moved to the city was so I can keep my sports car and still get to work in the winter 2. I knew no one in my old town 3. I had never been to the part of town the car was found in.

I filed my claim; the police did their investigation and turned the car over to the insurance company.

A couple weeks later I received a letter from the state attorney stating they'd found a man and was prosecuting him for the burglary of my car. I did not know the man and the attorney said they believed he was responsible for the theft of several cars, mine included. I showed the letter to the insurance company's investigator on the day I was supposed to give a recorded interview. Instead of proceeding with the interview he just made a copy of the letter, told me everything should be resolved in a few days, and let me leave.

After days of no contact I called the investigator and he had a very different attitude. He told me I have to give an examination under oath with their lawyer. He told me this was normal procedures but I felt doubtful because he had been so quick to assure me everything was set during our last meeting. I asked him if he had contacted the state attorney and what was going on with that case and he told me that it was confidential and he wouldn't tell me. Then he asked me twice, "Are you sure you have nothing to tell me?"

At this point I began to do some research and found countless horror stories in which the insurance company used the examination under oath (EUO) to deny claims. Supposedly these examinations are six hours long and they put words in your mouth and twist your words around so it looks like you're a liar. One person even said that if you come to the point where they want an EUO then you can expect that you won't see any money.

My only comfort (?) was that I couldn't find any such horror stories that took place in Massachusetts, plus most of them came from those insured by Allstate. However, I'm still apprehensive that my insurance company is trying to screw me. I can't tell if they think they know something or if this was all planned from the beginning.

Does anyone have any information/advice on what is happening in my situation? Should I get a lawyer?

Thanks---

You Are Guilty

No one can predict what your insurance company is up to other than them. However, an EUO in your situation is odd, as according to your version, there will be little information you could add to the case. Presumably, the insurance company thinks otherwise. I'd guess they think you knew the thief, or are at least leaning in that direction. (How much is the claim for? A bigger claim gives them more incentive to "find" reasons to deny it).

End result, getting a lawyer is always a good idea.

B

bcbadboy

soohk said:
What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

Not even a month after I moved into the city from the suburbs my car was stolen. The police found my totaled car in the town I had just moved from. This is terribly ironic because 1. One of the reasons I moved to the city was so I can keep my sports car and still get to work in the winter 2. I knew no one in my old town 3. I had never been to the part of town the car was found in.

I filed my claim; the police did their investigation and turned the car over to the insurance company.

A couple weeks later I received a letter from the state attorney stating they'd found a man and was prosecuting him for the burglary of my car. I did not know the man and the attorney said they believed he was responsible for the theft of several cars, mine included. I showed the letter to the insurance company's investigator on the day I was supposed to give a recorded interview. Instead of proceeding with the interview he just made a copy of the letter, told me everything should be resolved in a few days, and let me leave.

After days of no contact I called the investigator and he had a very different attitude. He told me I have to give an examination under oath with their lawyer. He told me this was normal procedures but I felt doubtful because he had been so quick to assure me everything was set during our last meeting. I asked him if he had contacted the state attorney and what was going on with that case and he told me that it was confidential and he wouldn't tell me. Then he asked me twice, "Are you sure you have nothing to tell me?"

At this point I began to do some research and found countless horror stories in which the insurance company used the examination under oath (EUO) to deny claims. Supposedly these examinations are six hours long and they put words in your mouth and twist your words around so it looks like you're a liar. One person even said that if you come to the point where they want an EUO then you can expect that you won't see any money.

My only comfort (?) was that I couldn't find any such horror stories that took place in Massachusetts, plus most of them came from those insured by Allstate. However, I'm still apprehensive that my insurance company is trying to screw me. I can't tell if they think they know something or if this was all planned from the beginning.

Does anyone have any information/advice on what is happening in my situation? Should I get a lawyer?

Thanks---
So what was the outcome?

sg0669

In the end what hapened during and after your EUO and Auto Theft claim????

What was the outcome? I can't find any transcripts or examples or descriptions on the web of the actual questions asked during a MA car-theft-related EUO by an insurance company, nor what docs/materials the lawyer may ask me to bring, nor whether or not they (the insured') were denied their claim in the end or not. I've read same horror stories as this post mentions (soohk). Forum entries don't seem to include a follow up in regards to how it actually went, what was it like, what went on during/ after the euo. I need to know. My car was stolen 2 months ago in MA and I am still waiting to be contacted by the insurance co's attorney where I am being required to submit to an examination under oath. Rental insurance expired after 30 days. I was told by the adjuster that the attorney would, "tell me what to bring" and, "where to go". And nothing more.

Everything is on the up and up with me and my affairs except for this one exception that I assume may be causing the hold up and euo. I live at two addresses, both in MA. One in one town during the week nearer to my job, and another generally on the wkends closer to my family/friends etc. So they have hinted that they find issue with 'where my car is registered vs. where it is garaged". I didn't do anything to be dishonest or disloyal. I really do have and use two adddresses only one in which I consider my legal/permanent address and this is the address my car is registered at. It's the same permanent address where all my credit and billing info resides, banking, taxes, mail, paychecks, etc. But from the sounds of it they the insurance co and especially their hired attorney are going to eat me alive, manipulate and bully me during this euo on this particular subject. The anxiety is killing me and nothing I've googled and read has made me feel any better or more confident about my chances.

Help?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">