• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor discharge underground water in front of my property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

Wiggles

What is the name of your state? Delaware

My new neighbor’s finished basement was flooded last year. So he put an extra sump pump and French drain etc. to make his basement dry. He discharges water into the street and the waters runs in front of my driveway, mailbox, and eventually to the storm water drainage.

What bothers me is that the water is running 24 hours a day without stop, even in the hot summer or cold winter. In the past year or so I never say the area dry. It becomes dirty. And in winter times it is so icy that picking up the mail was a headache. My toddler son used to play ball on the driveway and now he avoids that area totally.

I tried to talk to my neighbor and did not yield any positive result. Please help me!!! Thanks.

rmet4nzkx

If your new neighbor is uphill from you and pumping that much water out onto the street think about how much could be flooding your property. Is sounds like there is a severe water and drainage problem in your area especially if this is an additional pump and drainage system, the water is clean, not sewage and pumped to the gutter which is designed for draining water as opposed to across a sidewalk if you have one. You might check with the city to see if there are specific requirements. BTW streets and driveways are not safe play areas for toddlers you never know when someone might pull into the driveway and not see your toddler chasing after their ball or worse. Look at that as a blessing that he avoids the driveway at least you don't have to teach him to stay out of it!

nextwife

Is there no place else he can discharge to? Is there a culvert or storm drain? Some municipalities do have certain regulations about where sump pumps are allowed to discharge. Or the Sewerage Districts do, because surface runoff affects the abilty of the sewerage stystem to handle sewerage during peak runoffs.

I've reduced my runoff (which ends up in the sump crock and then discharged) by adding a rainbarrel (one can have several and daisy chain the excess water from one to another) under a downspout.

W

Wiggles

Thanks, rmet4nxkx.

We are living in a cul-de-sac and our house is at the neck area. We never let our son to play alone. But he was so into kicking the ball up to driveway and letting it rolling down to him and kicking again.

Actually our neighbor's house is about at the same level as my house, maybe even lower. My area is kind of wet since my sump pump starts every hour or so and it pumps to an underground system. I don't know why my neighbor does not have such system. I also don't understand why my previous neighbor who lived there for almost a decade did not have the problem with water. I am not sure if my new neighbor dig a hole too deep in his basement to pump the underground water out or what.

I understand that the water is not contaminated. But with non-stopping water, bacteria will grow. And I have to step on ice during winter time to pick up my mail. I would think there is some kind of regulation if our safety is at risk.

Thanks again.

W

Wiggles

Thanks, Nextwife.

The exact problem is that my neighbor wants to put the water into the culvert and then storm drain which is located in front of my property. The water has to pass in front of my driveway and mailbox and eventually to the storm drain.

As I said, we pump water into an underground system. I don't understand why he does not have one and why my previous neighbor did not have such problem. I was wondering if he overdid his work and retrieve water too deep below.

The water makes our property looks bad and poses a risk to us. Now my son could not play in the area where he loved to play. And I have to step on ice during winter time to pick my mail.

Thanks again!

rmet4nzkx

Obviously with a severe water problem in your neighborhood it is possible that the water table is too high, and that may be why your former neighbor didn't have the additional sump pump for their basement and maybe why they moved? The new neighbor may have only been trying to fix the problem based on the disclosures they received upon purchase. Your recourse is to contact the city and see what the ordinances are in regard to sump pumps and drainage. This may be a ripiarian zone with environemntal regulations. While it may be accceptable to have an underground system, is yours contained or a dry well? that may not be required, also if you are higher is it possible that they are pumping your runoff from your underground system?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">