• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copyright question on use of quotations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

secret7192

What is the name of your state? NJ

I'm working on a project for my company. I'm coming up with some designs for a box. And on some, I wanted to use quotations from poets, authors, etc.
Most of the quotes I was thinking of using were from Lord Byron, one from John Donne, and one from an author is alive - Phyllis Theroux. These are short quotes and used for design purposes. What are the copyright laws for quotes?

Thanks.

J

J. Michael

Funny. Byron was a relative of my great-grandmother. Anything published before 1923 (which includes Byron) is public domain in the U.S. and can be freely used. Quotes from anything published after 1922, and renewed, might be OK for academic use or by reporters, but probably not be OK for commercial use.

Last edited:
S

secret7192

Just a Thank you to J. Michael

J. Michael,

Thank you for your help. That's interesting you are a distant relative of Byron. He's one of my favorite poets.

BelizeBreeze

"She walks in beauty like the night
of cloudless climes and starry skies,
And all that is perfect in dark and light
meet in her aspect...

and her eyes."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">