• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Q

Quendin

What is the name of your state?Georgia

Hello all, I am new to this site. I have a legal question pertaining drug possession in the state of Georgia. I have read some other posts in this section so I fully expect to be looked down upon and have several references made about my lack of brain cells and general intelligence. So no offense will be taken.

My question is as follows. When I was 17 years old I was arrested for possesion of marijuana less than an ounce. I pleaded nolo(spelling?) and had my license suspended 6 months and had to attend DUI school.

My question is this, I am now 23 years old with a degree in computer science. A company is doing a background check on me, will this show up on my record? I was told misdemeanors were removed after 5 years, but I am not a lawyer and am having trouble finding specifics to my question.

If it does still appear on my record, then doesn't it seem as though the system is a little skewed? If an individual has a college degree and is a positive contributor to society, should they be held down forever by a small mistake in their teenage years? Even Bill Clinton and George "dubya" have checkered pasts, and they were/are our leaders.

Q

Quendin

To be honest with you, I don't know. They didn't tell me they just arrested me and took me to jail. My friend at the time was with me and he was 20, we both went to court on the same day and had the same hearing so I would assume it must be adult. Even though I was under 18 and was a minor, I probably got charged as an adult.

I'm gonna drive to the town where it happened and visit the courthouse and see if I can get a copy of my record and talk to the people there see what I can do about getting my record sealed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">