• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help please.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Z

zz102

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I stumbled into this forum after searching for information regarding terminations. I hoe someone can provide advice..I'm in desperate need of some.

I was fired today, a couple of hours ago. For personal reasons, conflict with another employee, who is my supervisor, and also my roomate/landlord. Which sounds odd I know, believe me I live it :(

Here's the basics,

Yesterday, my supervisor/friend/landlord and I got into a verbal argument at work, over non work related issues. It resulted in him basically telling me I have till the end of the month to "get out" of my house. Today, I called in to work before the required time to call out, so that I might begin packing, looking for an apartment etc. I followed the company policy regarding this ( even though there is no written policy at this company at all)

This is a small company of less than about 12 people, all but a couple are actual family members ( I'm not a family member) My employer is the uncle of my friend/supervisor.. not very good for me in this particular situation.
Anyway, I received a phone message right after lunch from my supervisor/friend that I had now been fired.

I have never been late to work, missed any days without proper notice etc etc. the simple fact is that this is a vindictive personal kind of thing that allowed due to the fact that the supervisor and actual owner are family etc.

As if this isn't odd enough, theres another twist involved. For the past few months I've had some issues with pain in the leg/knee/back area. Due to the type of work I do, it's not suprising. I've wanted to get this looked at as its gotten pretty bad. It hasn't affected my work really, as I just suffered through. Since my employer and I were until this point on good terms, the general idea was for me to get on the company insurance plan, and get the problem looked at. I didn;t want to be a jerk and get into the whole workmans comp issue etc. I had no problem paying the deductables and seeking treatment under the insurance . I signed the paperwork for the insurance yesterday morning coincidentally. Everyone was aware I was having some problems with the injury. We had a basic understanding that it would be taken care of.

Again, I liked my job, and I had no clue I was going to end up in this situation, so it wasnt a huge issue until now. It just seems that the people there are using the situation to resolve alot of problems with one fell swoop I guess.

The net result is that I'm about to be "homeless", I've been fired, and now I have no recourse to get a work related injury looked at without huge expense straight out of my pocket. I wasn't fired for a work related issue per say. This was a personal attack.

Do I have no recourse since I live in Georgia? I've learned from poking aroung for the past few minutes that Georgia is an "at will" state. There must be some protection from things like this. The past 48 hours have ruined my life.
Can I even file for unemployment insurance?

I could use a few good words of advice please.

HomeGuru

zz102 said:
What is the name of your state? Georgia

I stumbled into this forum after searching for information regarding terminations. I hoe someone can provide advice..I'm in desperate need of some.

I was fired today, a couple of hours ago. For personal reasons, conflict with another employee, who is my supervisor, and also my roomate/landlord. Which sounds odd I know, believe me I live it :(

Here's the basics,

Yesterday, my supervisor/friend/landlord and I got into a verbal argument at work, over non work related issues. It resulted in him basically telling me I have till the end of the month to "get out" of my house. Today, I called in to work before the required time to call out, so that I might begin packing, looking for an apartment etc. I followed the company policy regarding this ( even though there is no written policy at this company at all)

This is a small company of less than about 12 people, all but a couple are actual family members ( I'm not a family member) My employer is the uncle of my friend/supervisor.. not very good for me in this particular situation.
Anyway, I received a phone message right after lunch from my supervisor/friend that I had now been fired.

I have never been late to work, missed any days without proper notice etc etc. the simple fact is that this is a vindictive personal kind of thing that allowed due to the fact that the supervisor and actual owner are family etc.

As if this isn't odd enough, theres another twist involved. For the past few months I've had some issues with pain in the leg/knee/back area. Due to the type of work I do, it's not suprising. I've wanted to get this looked at as its gotten pretty bad. It hasn't affected my work really, as I just suffered through. Since my employer and I were until this point on good terms, the general idea was for me to get on the company insurance plan, and get the problem looked at. I didn;t want to be a jerk and get into the whole workmans comp issue etc. I had no problem paying the deductables and seeking treatment under the insurance . I signed the paperwork for the insurance yesterday morning coincidentally. Everyone was aware I was having some problems with the injury. We had a basic understanding that it would be taken care of.

Again, I liked my job, and I had no clue I was going to end up in this situation, so it wasnt a huge issue until now. It just seems that the people there are using the situation to resolve alot of problems with one fell swoop I guess.

The net result is that I'm about to be "homeless", I've been fired, and now I have no recourse to get a work related injury looked at without huge expense straight out of my pocket. I wasn't fired for a work related issue per say. This was a personal attack.

Do I have no recourse since I live in Georgia? I've learned from poking aroung for the past few minutes that Georgia is an "at will" state. There must be some protection from things like this. The past 48 hours have ruined my life.
Can I even file for unemployment insurance?

I could use a few good words of advice please.
**A: as to the employment or lack thereof, you can be fired for any reason or no reason at all. As to the rental issue, if you are on a m/m oral lease, L can give you written notice to vacate. As to the health issue, you can still file a claim against the employers insurance policy.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In an at-will state, which is every state except Montana and even includes Montana in some circumstances, you can quit at any time and for any reason, and you can be fired at any time and for any reason that does not violate the law. Nothing in your post indicates that your firing was illegal.

Yes, you can file for unemployment.

If the health issue was as a direct result of your employment, you can still file a workers comp claim. If it was not worth related, then it depends on how long the insurance remains in place. If you signed up for the insurance yesterday and were fired today, it may never go into effect at all. You can only submit a non-work-related claim on the company insurance if the insurance is still in effect at the time you incurred the medical services. In some instances, the insurance is cancelled on the same day as the employment terminates; in other cases it continues to the end of the month.
Since the company has less than 20 employees, COBRA will not apply. GA law does not require that they continue your coverage at the state level unless you were covered for six months prior to termination.

Z

zz102

Thank you both for the information. It is greatly appreciated. It at least gives me a start.

Hopefully I won't be unemployed long at all. I've never been fired before, and certainly don't think it will look too nice to my future employer...

As for the workman's compenstion claim, I just want to be able to be seen by a doctor and receive any necessary treatment without using up all of my extremely meager savings. I'll look on my states website for information on where to start a claim at, and see if I'm eligible and stand a chance of being able to receive a little help that way. I assume that would be the place to look?

Appreciate the help, Sorry to have to post my pathetic sequence of events here.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
YOU don't need to decide if you're eligible. Check the state website or call the W/C commission to find out how to file a claim, file it, and let THEM decide if you're eligible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">