• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adultery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

apache64

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

I am from Pennsylvania, but I am current attending flight school in Alabama where I was married only 3 months ago.

My wife, I just found out, has been cheating on me with another member of her unit. Currently they are in Iraq and have only been there for 3 weeks. This has been going on for at least a month. We have a 13 month old daughter together. What legal recourse do I have? Can she be punished for adultery under the UCMJ? Can he? How can I ensure that I get custody of our child? I am at a loss and can not believe this is happening. Please let me know what I should be doing to handle this, to protect myself, and to protect my daughter.

"Adultery is a violation the UCMJ (Uniform Code Of Military Justice) and like any other reg you break you can get in trouble for it." How accurate is this statement?

Last edited:

rmet4nzkx

Grounds for Divorce: Pennsylvania

LEGAL GROUNDS FOR DIVORCE: No-Fault: (1) Irretrievable breakdown of the marriage with the spouses living separate and apart without cohabitation for 2 years or (2) irretrievable breakdown of the marriage and the spouses have both filed affidavits that they consent to the divorce. In the case of no-fault ground (1), the court may delay the case for 90 to 120 days if it appears that there is a reasonable chance for reconciliation. In the case of no-fault ground (2), 90 days must elapse after the filing for divorce before the court will grant a divorce. [Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes Annotated; Title 23, Section 3301].

General: (1) Adultery; (2) bigamy; (3) imprisonment for 2 or more years; (4) confinement for incurable insanity for 18 months; (5) willful desertion for 1 year; (6) cruel and inhuman treatment endangering the life of the spouse; and (7) personal indignities. [Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes Annotated; Title 23, Section 3301 and Pennsylvania Case Law].

A

apache64

Sir when you staed General, did you mean the General Article under the USMJ? How do I proceed with it? Do I inform her command or let a JAG officer handle it?

racer72

Adultery is not a violation of the UCMJ. Read it all here. What you need is a divorce attorney that has dealt with members of the military. See one soon.

A

apache64

Sir,
I was always led to believe that if you committed adultery that you could be chaarged under the USMJ, at least I know they mentioned thaat at OCS. Was I led wrong? I know the General Article is a catch all, but would it apply?

badapple40

Racer is obviously not a judge advocate and has no clue. I would begin the process by contacting the local OSI (Office of Special Investigations) unit, or contact the staff judge advocate's office on your base. They'll know who/what/where to contact and get more information.

I would not expect punitive action to begin immediately. The commander usually is advised to impose a no contact order coupled with a LOC as a first offense. It depends however. When/if she breaks that order, THEN they'll usually begin punitive proceedings. Hope this was helpful.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">