• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer misrepresentations during interview

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jbachom

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

My wife worked for a general surgeon and was laid off about six months ago and accepted the first position she could find at a local hospital. During her interview with the hospital,the employer stated many falsehoods about what the job would entail such as job descriptions etc. This caused my wife to look elseware. About two weeks later she took a position working for another general surgeon but after two weeks her hours were cut from 40 to 36 then to about 28-30 a week due to business problems. Since we could not afford this,my wife began to look again and was hired for another doctors office. She was told she would receive 40+ hours per week and would work between two locations both within 15 minutes from our home. After three weeks on the job she was told she would have to work at another location two days a week which was about an hour to an hour and 15 minutes from our home. She complained to her manager but was told if she wanted hours she "suggested" my wife take those shifts. The problem is my wife turned down other employment offers for this position and would have never taken this position if she knew this. Because of this my wife has started interviewing again and had to miss work. My wife was honest and told her manager the truth that she was looking elseware to take time off to interview. Today, my wife recieved a call for an interview in the morning, left a message with her manager and when she called to talk to her manager, the assistant told my wife they assumed she had quit. Now she is unemployed again.

Are employers held responsible for what they say in an interview as far as working hours, conditions,locations etc.? Is this a form of a verbal contract?

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, in 99.9999% of situations, what the employer describes during the interview does not constitute a contract, verbal or otherwise. A contract has to contain certain elements from BOTH parties. A description of the job does not meet that description.

Rather, at interview the employer tells the applicant what they, at that exact minute, anticipate the job to be. Business circumstances and/or changing conditions can force them to modify that very, very quickly. There's nothing illegal about that.

It was not wise of your wife to tell her employer, especially such a new employer, that she was looking for a new job. I'm not sure I wouldn't have thought she'd quit, too, in these circumstances.

It's an unfortunate combination of circumstances but I don't see anything in your post that implies that the employer violated any laws, or anything that gives your wife legal recourse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">