• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor In Possession

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JamesB1614

I live in California. I am a 20 years old. Last month I received a ticket from ABC for a minor in possession of an alcoholic beverage. I was not drinking it just merely helping a friend carry it to her mom, which I know is a against the law. I am not sure what to do. I am currently a criminal justice major and I do not want this to effect my career. This is the only ticket I have ever received including traffics violations. I have been advised that I should obtain a lawyer but then there are other people who tell me not to. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advise as to whether I can plea bargain or if I could get the charges reduced? What are the possible consequences and/or punishments? Thank You

HomeGuru

JamesB1614 said:
I live in California. I am a 20 years old. Last month I received a ticket from ABC

**A: what is ABC?
for a minor in possession of an alcoholic beverage. I was not drinking it just merely helping a friend carry it to her mom, which I know is a against the law. I am not sure what to do. I am currently a criminal justice major and I do not want this to effect my career.

**A: well, there may be a cause and effect and it may affect your career.

This is the only ticket I have ever received including traffics violations. I have been advised that I should obtain a lawyer but then there are other people who tell me not to. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advise as to whether I can plea bargain or if I could get the charges reduced? What are the possible consequences and/or punishments? Thank You
**A: couldn't you wait just another year?

CdwJava

JamesB1614 said:
I live in California. I am a 20 years old. Last month I received a ticket from ABC for a minor in possession of an alcoholic beverage. I was not drinking it just merely helping a friend carry it to her mom, which I know is a against the law. I am not sure what to do. I am currently a criminal justice major and I do not want this to effect my career. This is the only ticket I have ever received including traffics violations. I have been advised that I should obtain a lawyer but then there are other people who tell me not to. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advise as to whether I can plea bargain or if I could get the charges reduced? What are the possible consequences and/or punishments? Thank You
James, this is not a huge problem to a career in law enforcement, but a conviction will likely require a few years of really good behavior to overcome. And AS a CJ major, you should have known better.

This would reflect on your background investigation rather poorly as an immature decision. Holding the alcohol is possessing the alcohol.

And where were you that ABC was actually out issuing tickets? A bar? They do not regularly stroll the streets ... these guys have about 160 establishments per agent to handle ... it's not a pretty caseload.

Your likely consequences will depend upon the specific violation - statute and section - you received (Which you failed to mention). But will likely consist of a fine and alcohol classes. You might consider consulting an attorney because there may be ramifications on your license status that I am not aware of.

If convicted, I would put at least 4 years between you and the event before you apply for an agency in CA. Some agencies will have a bigger problem with it than others. If you have a stellar record of responsibility after this then it will be a very small problem pretty quickly.

Learn from it and move on.

Carl

P.S. Guru: ABC is the state's Alcohol and Beverage Control office ... they are state officers that regulate alcohol and licensing.

J

JamesB1614

I was at a downtown creekwalk, which is a Friday night community even with music and venders. That same night ABC busted 3 local bars that have been serving minors (with and without IDs for years). I know I should not have been holding the beer. It was a stupid mistake.

My ticket is for 25662(a)B.P. - minor in possession of an alcoholic beverage. I will contact an attorney and seek their advise also. I have been told that my punishment will range anywhere from loosing my DL for a year, 6 mo or until I'm 21. Also I would have a fine, classes and community service. I am just trying to prepare my schedule for what might happen. If they do suspend my DL can I get a probabationary one for school and work.

Thanks for your advice on this matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">