• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need to show up in court as witness?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

humanoide

What is the name of your state? FL

I was rear-ended. Police showed up and wrote report, which cited the other driver for reckless driving. The other driver's insurance company (State Farm)paid for my damages. Very smooth transaction with them. Now, I received by mail a notice to appear in court as a witness for the case of the State of FL vs the other driver.

My question: Do I have to show up? What could be the consequences of my no-show? More specifically, can State Farm come back to me with the bill for my car damages if the case against its insured driver is thrown out (due to my no-show as witness)?

Thanks.

JETX

humanoide said:
Do I have to show up?
If this 'notice' was a summons, yes you have to show up.

What could be the consequences of my no-show?
A warrant could be issued for your arrest. Further, since you are being noticed as a witness, your failure to show up would be irresponsible and possibly prevent justice from occurring, or even cause a misjustice to occur.

More specifically, can State Farm come back to me with the bill for my car damages if the case against its insured driver is thrown out (due to my no-show as witness)?
No.

H

humanoide

Thanks for your reply and comments.

The notice that I received by mail does NOT say "summons" anywhere. Furthermore, it only "warns" that failure to appear as a witness may result in the case being dismissed.

Would sending a written and signed statement by me help?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">