• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property survey expense - Liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

fresian

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? MI

I have recently been served with a small claims lawsuit from my neighbor who claims that I should pay her for a property survey that she felt compelled to have done to prove encroachment of a temporary livestock fence (T-post and woven wire tape). This survey was done Oct 2003 - don't know what prompted her to wait until now. My question is - am I indeed liable for her survey?

As of now, I have not been presented with a copy of the survey nor a copy of the paid invoice from the surveyor. Fortunately, for me, I happen to know the surveyor and was informed that he only charged his client $1250, to which she has inflated in her lawsuit to $1500.00. Additionally, he located the property line between my neighbor and her adjacent neighbor (front and rear stakes), the stake at the front of the property line between my neighbor and myself, but not the rear stake of the line in question - because she didn't want to pay the additional expense of having to do GPS surveying through the woods and hills.

What the survey showed, according to the stakes and the surveyor, is that one of my posts was indeed 3' over her line, but that the remainder was either just on my side of the property line to 5' within my line. Needless to say, she was unhappy with the results. Immediately, within 12 hours, we removed the post in question and reset the fence well within our property.

To my understanding, if she wished to just have the portion of fence in question surveyed, it would not have cost her $1250, as they had all the information from the legal to locate the section monuments and stake from that point. So, why should I have to pay for her to locate the exact line between her and her neighbor and a "not-even-finished" survey of the property line between us?

Thanks for your help!

HomeGuru

fresian said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? MI

I have recently been served with a small claims lawsuit from my neighbor who claims that I should pay her for a property survey that she felt compelled to have done to prove encroachment of a temporary livestock fence (T-post and woven wire tape). This survey was done Oct 2003 - don't know what prompted her to wait until now. My question is - am I indeed liable for her survey?

As of now, I have not been presented with a copy of the survey nor a copy of the paid invoice from the surveyor. Fortunately, for me, I happen to know the surveyor and was informed that he only charged his client $1250, to which she has inflated in her lawsuit to $1500.00. Additionally, he located the property line between my neighbor and her adjacent neighbor (front and rear stakes), the stake at the front of the property line between my neighbor and myself, but not the rear stake of the line in question - because she didn't want to pay the additional expense of having to do GPS surveying through the woods and hills.

What the survey showed, according to the stakes and the surveyor, is that one of my posts was indeed 3' over her line, but that the remainder was either just on my side of the property line to 5' within my line. Needless to say, she was unhappy with the results. Immediately, within 12 hours, we removed the post in question and reset the fence well within our property.

To my understanding, if she wished to just have the portion of fence in question surveyed, it would not have cost her $1250, as they had all the information from the legal to locate the section monuments and stake from that point. So, why should I have to pay for her to locate the exact line between her and her neighbor and a "not-even-finished" survey of the property line between us?

Thanks for your help!
**A: tell her to bite rocks.

F

fresian

Though I may share the same thought, the question still remains if I am liable to re-imburse her. Please help!

HomeGuru

fresian said:
Though I may share the same thought, the question still remains if I am liable to re-imburse her. Please help!

**A: ok, since you did not understand, the answer is NO.

F

fresian

Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it! If you have any suggestions on how I might argue my point or any laws/statutes to which I could reference in court to support this, I would be deeply indebted to you.

HomeGuru

fresian said:
Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it! If you have any suggestions on how I might argue my point or any laws/statutes to which I could reference in court to support this, I would be deeply indebted to you.

**A: common law. He who hires the vendor pays the vendor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">