• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Update on Dad's SSDI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Hello all - I just got off the phone with my dad. He got a letter in the mail from Social Security today stating that they have made a doctor's appointment for him on Sept. 19th to evaluate his Disability claim.

I will be taking him to his appointment.

Has anyone here ever had to go to one of these appointments? I think my dad is nervous because he doesn't know what to expect, and neither do I. I guess I am nervous for him.

The letter also stated that they needed more information on his conditions; (diabetes, hardening of the arteries, loss of vision, injured back, ect...). How are we supposed to give them more information on this stuff? We have all of my dad's medical records, but I'm not sure if Social Security was given a copy or not.

Should my father bring his medical records with him to his appointment on the 19th?

Any advice on what we should expect from this appointment would be GREATLY appreciated. I am just glad that the ball is FINALLY rolling!

Thanks in advance, and thanks for the help you have provided already!

~ Kari ~

[email protected]

rmet4nzkx

Bring copies of all the medical records you have, also contact information for physicians, lists of medications, medical history for him and family. Good luck

tigger22472

Yes take all info that you have that way if the doctor asks a question if he doesn't have the info then you do.

This doctor will basically look over his file and have him do what we call 'monkey tricks' to see what he's physically able to do. The appt. could last anywhere from 30-60 minutes. Tell your dad that if he's asked to do something that he can normally do but it takes lots of effort to acheive it then to just simply do it to his initial ability. (did that make sense?) Don't OVER exert himself to achieve what the doctor asks.

What SSI doesn't see is that yes you might be able to do something ... for example, lift 10 lbs... say in a therapy ... sure, you can lift 10 lbs for 10 minutes a day but they don't see that you go home and sleep for 5 hours because although you did it, it totally wore you out and there's no way you could do it for 8 hours or even 4 hours a day.

Hello - I just want to say thank you for your replies. You all have been helpful in a time where my father has felt discouraged.

We got copies of all of my fathers medical records. Last night, I went to my fathers house and went through EVERY SINGLE page of the files. (There are 3 large packets.)

I've come to find out that my dad suffers from the following:

Circulatory Neuropathy
Type II Diabetes
Glaucoma (sp?)
Asthma
Arthritis
Emphysema
Black Lung
Hyperlipidemia
Allergic Sinusitis
Chronic back pain

This is the main list. All of these things combined make my dad very sick. Right now he is to the point where he can barely function. Walking from the kitchen table to his bedroom is a chore for him. Eating even seems like a chore for him too.

Also his sugar has been out of control lately and he has no means to control it. The last time he went and got it checked, it was almost 400. Most of the time it seems like he is in a daze.

Well - before I go...I do have one more question.

Will the doctor perform any kind of blood work on my father? Or will it just be "physical" things?

I'm hoping this doctors appointment goes well for him. I told my dad not to get his hopes up. They will *probably* deny him the first time around. I've heard that they usually do that with just about everyone. (I'm not sure what the truth behind that is though.)

Well - thanks so much for reading and replying. It is really appreciated!

~ Kari ~

tigger22472

More then likely most things will be physical. I would say the things he has going for him, if you can say that, for disability is the emphysema, and the glaucoma depending on the extent of it. Medical records will really help and the doctor will look them over. You can take them although he should already have them.

Good luck.. I know this is a trying time.

Hello - thanks once again for your reply. I'm not sure if the doctor who he is seeing on Sunday would have his medical records or not.

When my father first applied for Social Security Disability, we filled out all the necessary paperwork, but they never did ask us for his medical records.

Then they sent that letter stating that he was denied. Then all of a sudden they set up a doctors appointment for him, after they denied him. (This whole process confuses me.) lol.

So what I did was, I made double copies of ALL of his medical records. We will give one copy of each record to the doctor who will be giving my father the exam.

As far the the glaucoma goes, I never knew that my father had it. I've known that his vision is terrible, but I never knew about the glaucoma. (And he has never had his glaucoma treated, as far as I can tell from the medical records.) My father was always really secretive about his medical history, up until now. I just think he didn't want us to worry to much about him.

I don't mean to be a bother, but I do have one other question. When I looked up the definition of disability - this is what I found.

"The Social Security definition of disability is a strict one. To be eligible for disability benefits, a person must be unable to do any kind of substantial gainful work because of a physical or mental impairment (or a combination of impairments) which has lasted or is expected to last for a continuous period of at least 12 months, or that is expected to result in death."

How can they determine if your disability is expected to result in your death? All the things that ail him, have lasted more than 12 months. Most over a 10 year period, and it just keeps getting worse and worse, and is now to the point where he cannot work. Most of these ailments will result in his death. (As much as I hate to say or think that.) :(

Anyways - thanks again. You have been such a huge help to us!

- Kari

rmet4nzkx

If he has COPD then the test results will be very significant, did you ever get a copy of the review that resulted in the denial that will show ehat they looked at or not. Sometimes even with all th eproblems unless a doctor says the right words they won't approve it and since these are treaters and not evaluators they seldom enter in the record that the person is disabled.

Hello - I don't think we ever got a copy of the review that resulted in denial. I would have to go through the paper work that was sent with the denial. Though I believe there wasn't much paperwork.

After going through my fathers records, there are several instances where they state the ailments that he has, but never have they said that he is "disabled".

He has always been able to work, up until April 04'. He went to work one day and couldn't take the pain anymore.

Unfortunatly - he cannot just go to a doctor and ask for a slip stating that he is disabled. He did see a doctor recently. My dad told him that he is trying to apply for SSDI - and the doctor pretty much ignored him. But he gave my dad samples because he has no insurance.

Do you HAVE to have a letter from your doctor stating that you are disabled in order to get SSDI? If the doctor won't give you a letter stating that you are disabled - shouldn't the medical records help out a little bit? It states in all of his records what he has, and tests that have confirmed it, ect...

Thank you all so much again. Your help is appreciated! Words cannot express how thankful I am that there are places like this to come and get advice, and talk with people who are in the same boat.

~ Kari ~

rmet4nzkx

What happened in 04-04?
Did he go on workers comp, disability, sick leave, quit his job? There has to be someting that happened then not just not going back because of the pain, that is the problem and you have to request a copy of the evluators report from SSA

In 4/04 my dad quit his job. Physically - he could not do it anymore because of his health problems.

Social Security did get a paper from my fathers place of employment stating that he quit "Due to Health Problems". We did get a copy of that.

I will check into getting a copy of the Evaluators Report.

Thanks for your help! :)

~ Kari ~

rmet4nzkx

That was a big mistake, you go on sick leave and then diability, you don't just quit decide to quite without a doctor keeping you off work, depending on the size of the business there may be FMLA as well did you father seek any assistance with any of this, is he competent?
You have to request the report from SSA, they don't have to do anything to help, their job is to deny benefits. Call them today and ask to have it copied and sent today by fax if possible or go and pick it up n person, then call the people at center for ind. living that I refered you to in the begining they have people that help with this. BTW medicare comes more than 2 years after the start of the disability.

ellencee

Quitting his job should not affect this poster's father's application for SSDI benefits. One can be voluntarily retired, become disabled and therefore unable to return to work, and file for and receive SSDI. If I recall correctly, the last date of work must be no more than ten years prior to filing for disability.
EC

karihager1982
Your father's currently treating physician will be required to complete a medical questionaire that states your father's ability to perform certain tasks and at which level he can perform the tasks. Examples of the questions are: can sit for 1-4 hours, 4-8 hours per day
can stand/walk 1-4 hours, 4-8 hours per day
can lift 10 pounds at regular intervals 1-4 hours, 4-8 hours per day

Your father can probably do none of the above on a regular basis such as is required for employment of any type. Prolonged sitting isn't good for his lungs, diabetes, arthritis, circulation, or hyperlipidemia. He probably doesn't have the strength to lift 10 pounds at any regular interval.

Your father's medical records may or may not be of any real help in gaining approval for his benefits. Approval will be based on his condition at the time he applied and at his current level of functioning, his age and prognosis (the combination of age and prognosis is used in determining if he is suitable for a different type of employment). He has so many chronic illnesses that his prognosis for employment health should qualify him for benefits.

Your father has many of the chronic illnesses that are too general in description and too easy for SSA to dismiss without due consideration, which is (in my opinion) their preferred method of operation. He needs someone (a physician) to identify the effects of these illnesses on his ability to meet his own activities of daily living and his ability to work and to state the normal progression of the effects/illnesses.

He stands a much better chance at gaining approval with your assistance. Be sure he lists you as his representative so that you can speak with SSA on his behalf.

Best wishes,
EC

Once again - thank you all for the replies.

I understand that my father quitting his job was a big mistake. I think he knows that now too. He now wishes he would have gone on disability leave first, and then tried to apply for SSDI.

It's hard to give all the information here, and give accurate information so I can get advice, but I will try my best.

My father quit his job April 2004. He quit because of his illnesses, pain, and problems with his right arm. (Mostly from working a difficult job all of his life.) After he quit, his intentions were to move to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan to live with my sister, and try to find work that was easier for him physically. He moved up north, and could not find work, so he moved back down to S.E. Michigan. He tried to find work, and did find one job working at a steel plant, mostly cleaning up stuff, lifting large wooden blocks, ect... and he lasted one day and could not go back. By the time he got home, he looked like he was going to pass out. He was laid up in bed for a few days, barely able to walk.

Since then, he realized that he probably won't be able to go back to work. This is very painful for him, because he has worked almost 40 years of his life, and he has always enjoyed working, and providing for his family.

Anyways - I did get to take my father to his SSDI Evaluation (Dr. Appt) yesterday. I was really upset that they had sent him to this place. It was in downtown Detroit, in a small clinic. We had to enter in the back on the building, there was garbage everywhere. Then to top it off, there is a sign in the hall way that read, "SSDI Evaluations - downstairs". There were no elevators. He had to walk down the stairs just to get to the appointment. I was very upset.

The exam didn't last very long either. The doctor did nothing to my father. He was given an eye test (which he failed) and they took his blood pressure. Then the doctor asked him a few questions about his emphesyma, diabetes, neuropothy, glaucoma, black lung....ect. She had him take his shoes and socks off and felt his legs. She checked the circulation in his legs, and had a hard time getting a pulse. Then she had him lay down on the table which she felt his legs. She did that test on him where they scrape the bottom of your feet to see if the nerves react. When she did it on his left leg, his leg practically jumped off the table. When she did it on his right leg, he couldn't even tell she was doing it.

She also listened to his heart beat and lungs. As he was getting up from the table, she was listening to his lungs, and he started coughing and he couldn't catch his breath. She then said, "All right, I've seen enough right there." I didn't know what she meant by that. She said it in a sympatheic tone.

The doctor was nice to my father, she listened to what he had to say, though she seemed like she was trying to rush through the visit.

I told my father not to get his hopes up. Chances are he will be denied the first time around, but he said once he finds out if he is denied, he is going to try and find a lawyer.

Also - I am listed as my father's representative, and I fill out all of his paperwork for him. If I have to, I will speak on my father's behalf.

Another question - How can my father get a physician to identify the effects of his illness? He went to a doctor 2 - 3 weeks ago, and the doctor wouldn't do anything for him. He gave him samples of medication, but that was it.

So I guess all we can do right now is wait for the reply. How long does it usually take for them to approve or deny you?

Anyways - I have to get going. Thank you all once again for your help. You are all WONDERFUL, and SO VERY helpful!

Take care,
~ Kari ~

ellencee

karihager1982
From what you described, I believe you and your father will be pleased with the results of the disability physical exam.
EC

Ellencee - thanks for the reply. This forum, and the people who post here have been such a huge help to me and my father.

I thought that the "exam" went well myself - but there's always the "what if's". I have a good feeling about it - but I really don't want to get my dad's hopes up with the whole thing.

I hate to say it, but I almost want him to expect a denial, because if that's what he gets, he won't be as disappointed. He will just be ready to appeal the decision. (If he expected to get approved, and then got denied, he would get depressed, and more than likely give up.)

I think my father will eventually get SSDI - but it could take some time. I'm prepared to fight for him. :)

Thanks again!

~ Kari ~

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">