• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dragon11682

I live in New Jersey, and I was wondering if a lawyer may go to court without your prescence in the court room. Is this possible? And should I worry about this situation? Thanks.

Tayla

Yes, its absolutely possible that a lawyer can go to court without you or anyone else for that matter. I hurd they can cross the street on their own too! Its amazing all the skills a lawyer can do ! So fret not, sleep well knowing that the lawyers of this world are well and able to go where-ever they want without your presence.:)

D

dragon11682

funny one. But really, is my lawyer going to court without me because he is trying to get the lowest settlement for me with me knowing.

O

OC3902

dragon11682 said:
I live in New Jersey, and I was wondering if a lawyer may go to court without your prescence in the court room. Is this possible? And should I worry about this situation? Thanks.
There are several types of court hearings where the lawyer can go to court without your presence in the courtroom. Is this a hypothetical question? If not, what type of hearing are you concerned with? If it's a type of settlement conference, there may be a rule in your state that the lawyer at least be able to contact you by phone if/when he needs authority to settle.

dragon11682 said:
And should I worry about this situation? Thanks.
I wouldn't lose sleep over it. If you don't trust your lawyer for some reason, talk to him/her about it, or it may be time to get a new one.

Tayla, lol, that was funny. :D

Tayla

dragon11682 said:
funny one. But really, is my lawyer going to court without me because he is trying to get the lowest settlement for me with me knowing.
Okay Lets Try this from the get go. How about when you post. Be specific, clear, precise on exactly what you are inquiring about? These snippets of information are not clear enough. It doesnt have to be a diary . It can be simple yet specific in its questions of law or statutes.
If I answered your question up above I would say: Yes, he is going to court without you because maybe your a stalker! Now come'on lets get real. Ask a direct question and you'll get a direct response. So far the only thing I can surmise to be true is 1: Somewhere is a lawyer out there going to court. 2: you live in New Jersey and 3: Somewhere in america a lawyer is going to court for settlement and is forgetting to tell you.You want all the lawyers to call you before they go to court?? As much as I want to find humour in your post I must say its frustrating to decipher a vague inquiry. Somehow OC3209 is better apt at deciphering your inquiry.He/she must have that secret decoder from the box of frosted flakes, can I borrow it? *grin*

O

OC3902

Tayla said:
Somehow OC3209 is better apt at deciphering your inquiry.He/she must have that secret decoder from the box of frosted flakes, can I borrow it? *grin*
Sure you can borrow it :). actually I think I tend to project more facts than what's in a post sometimes and maybe even 'speculate' as to what the poster's concerned about in the hopes I could possibly answer the poster in one or two posts...lol :). That way, I can have more time to visit more threads :D.

Oh by the way, I'm a "she" too. :D

Tayla

OC3902 said:
Sure you can borrow it :).
Oh by the way, I'm a "she" too. :D
Welcome aboard ! I'll have my lawyer call your lawyer for sharing rights on the decoder *grin*. Hopefully you dont have the same lawyer as dragon11682 does ( His lawyer seems to be at court without him way too much! LOL!!)

O

OC3902

That's okay, attorneys sometimes have attorneys too ... especially in an area of law they don't practice. :D

D

dragon11682

Let me rephrase what I'm trying to ask here, since, obviously, no one is understanding what I'm asking. I have a car accident case. I did not have any fault at all in this accident. This case was started about 5 yrs ago. Seven months ago, my lawyer called me with an offer, and I accepted it. A month later, I called him back to find out what was going on so far. He told me that the settlement offer was cancelled and that the case was going to court. He also told me I had to bring 3 doctors with me to court, and that they would cost 12,000 for them to come to court. Yesterday, I called my lawyer to see if I was going to court on Monday like he told me I would have to. He told me that the court day is on Monday but for me to stay home by the phone just in case he needs to ask me something. I feel suspicious about him going to court without me because I think that he is going to get a certain amount of money from the settlement, but tell me that in actuality I got less. That way he can keep more of the money and give me a little amount of it. I've gotten to the point that I dont trust my lawyer, but I think it's too late to do anything about that. I would like to know if anybody else thinks this is in any way suspicious. And if so, what would you advise me to do. Thanks in advance.
P.S. The secret message has been decoded. ;)

O

OC3902

dragon11682 said:
Let me rephrase what I'm trying to ask here, since, obviously, no one is understanding what I'm asking. I have a car accident case. I did not have any fault at all in this accident. This case was started about 5 yrs ago. Seven months ago, my lawyer called me with an offer, and I accepted it. A month later, I called him back to find out what was going on so far. He told me that the settlement offer was cancelled and that the case was going to court. He also told me I had to bring 3 doctors with me to court, and that they would cost 12,000 for them to come to court. Yesterday, I called my lawyer to see if I was going to court on Monday like he told me I would have to. He told me that the court day is on Monday but for me to stay home by the phone just in case he needs to ask me something. I feel suspicious about him going to court without me because I think that he is going to get a certain amount of money from the settlement, but tell me that in actuality I got less. That way he can keep more of the money and give me a little amount of it. I've gotten to the point that I dont trust my lawyer, but I think it's too late to do anything about that. I would like to know if anybody else thinks this is in any way suspicious. And if so, what would you advise me to do. Thanks in advance.
P.S. The secret message has been decoded. ;)
Wow some facts...:D. Maybe your lawyer told you to stay home by the phone just in case he needs to ask you something because, as I mentioned, if it's a type of settlement conference, there may be a rule in your state that the lawyer at least be able to contact you by phone if/when he needs authority to settle. and perhaps your lawyer didn't think it was necessary for you to make the trip and possibly take time off work for the whole morning/afternoon for whatever type of hearing the one on Monday is. As I said there are several types of court hearings where your attendance is not required (and not worth going to). We don't have any facts as to why the settlement offer was cancelled so i can't say whether he did anything wrong there...maybe the other party wasn't keeping his end of the bargain?...not enough facts to say. It's probably against the rules governing attorneys in NJ for him to lie to you about any settlement offer. As for keeping more of the money and give you a little amount of it, is there a retainer agreement? If so, it might spell out exactly how much of the settlement figure he can take out as attorneys' fees.

I agree with the other poster, if you're still worried, go to court on Monday.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">