• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Conlfict of Interest !?!?!?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TommyBoy14

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Illinois

Hi I’m writing you because I have a small problem that I need legal advice on or an explanation of the term conflict of interest. I am currently a Wal-Mart employee, in the wireless connection center which deals primarily with the sales of cell phones, including the Carriers such as Cingular, T-Mobile and Sprint. Every weekend we have sales reps from the different companies come in to help promote their service to the customers. One of these reps as I was talking to them, answered my question that there indeed is a job opening in their company and I look like the kind of person they are looking for. I told them that I would be interested in that since it pays more then my current one and is less stressful. However, one of my supervisors got a hold of the information about me getting another job through the rep and they said that what she did is illegal and Is a conflict of interest for her to try and “recruit” me for the job. My manager said that’s it’s illegal for her to talk to me about a job in sales since I work in Wal-Mart which sells the carrier. I just want to know if my boss is right on this legal issue or if it’s ok for me to get the new job and quit the old one, legally?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

TommyBoy14 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Illinois

Hi I’m writing you because I have a small problem that I need legal advice on or an explanation of the term conflict of interest. I am currently a Wal-Mart employee, in the wireless connection center which deals primarily with the sales of cell phones, including the Carriers such as Cingular, T-Mobile and Sprint. Every weekend we have sales reps from the different companies come in to help promote their service to the customers. One of these reps as I was talking to them, answered my question that there indeed is a job opening in their company and I look like the kind of person they are looking for. I told them that I would be interested in that since it pays more then my current one and is less stressful. However, one of my supervisors got a hold of the information about me getting another job through the rep and they said that what she did is illegal and Is a conflict of interest for her to try and “recruit” me for the job. My manager said that’s it’s illegal for her to talk to me about a job in sales since I work in Wal-Mart which sells the carrier. I just want to know if my boss is right on this legal issue or if it’s ok for me to get the new job and quit the old one, legally?

My response:

Any "conflict of interest" or the "legalities" involved in your situation do not apply to you. You are not an indentured servant, nor a slave, and Wal-Mart does not own you. You have an absolute right to work wherever and whenever you want. In other words, your boss can't stop you, and you have violated no laws concerning this matter.

However, the story is quite different for that company representative. The "rep" was an "invited guest" in your Wal-Mart store. It was unethical for that "guest" to go into someone else's "home" and attempt to offer and steal away an employee from the "host".

What would happen to me if you invited me to your home for dinner and, before I left, I enticed your wife to go home with me?

Not a nice thing to do.

IAAL

T

TommyBoy14

Thnak you guys for the promp responses. Im going to go into work with a new outlook on this and probably take the girl up on the offer or at least see if i do qualify for the job, once again thanks you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">