• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Friends?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beeg

What is the name of your state?Missouri.
I was hired to replace an individual who had worked for the company (4 people total) for 10 years and was good friends with the owner. I worked for them for approximately 30 days, was "let go" so that the former individual could start work the very next day. Does this constitute wrongful termination? I believe I did not sign a "At will" statement upon hiring.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

beeg said:
What is the name of your state?Missouri.
I was hired to replace an individual who had worked for the company (4 people total) for 10 years and was good friends with the owner. I worked for them for approximately 30 days, was "let go" so that the former individual could start work the very next day. Does this constitute wrongful termination? I believe I did not sign a "At will" statement upon hiring.

My response:

What makes you think that you need to sign an "at-will" statement? Missouri is an "at-will" employment State. You can quit, and they can fire you, at a moment's notice.

However, what did you give up to be hired by this company and relied upon to give up what you may have had; e.g., did you work for another company prior to being hired?

IAAL

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Whether you did or did not sign an at-will statement is immaterial. You are an at-will employee UNLESS you have a contract that says otherwise. And when I say a contract I mean a CONTRACT, not an employment offer letter.

I know what IAAL is getting at, though, and I would be interested in the answer. Did you quit another job to take this one? Did you turn down another offer in favor of this one?

Even if the answer is yes, that does not GUARANTEE that you have any legal recourse, but if the answer is no, you are SOL. (If the answer is yes, you STILL may be SOL; it will depend on the exact circumstances.)

beeg

Yes I did turn down another offer. Details: The other person quit because he and the owner got into an arguement. I was hired as his replacement, told I was going an excellent job, ( even got a letter of recommendation when I was fired/layed off (?)), then told I was being replaced by the former employee, basicly because they "kissed and make-up". Also does not "Breach of Good Faith and Fair Dealing" come into play?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">