• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Options

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

'Fired'-up girl

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?TX

Long story I will try & make short. My ex-boss had been verbally abusive since I started work for him a year ago. Its a small company (me, my ex-boss and one other employee). When he references other females to me (I am a female) , he calls them the "B" word, along with some other choice words. He hates certain ethnic groups of people and will tell me that he will not take certain racial groups of people on as clients. He constantly yelled and cussed about one thing or another almost daily. One example, he would yell at me if I used big paperclips instead of small ones.

One day, I had enough of his verbal abuse and I gave him my opinion and told him that I didn't feel he was right in the statements he had made about certain groups of people. He yelled, with veins popping out of neck, "SHUT YOUR TRAP!!" I told him not talk to me that way. This was all in front of the remaining employee. He called me into his office and gave me a verbal warning and yelled at me to never, ever talk to him like I did and did I understand. He said this was a verbal warning and he would only give me one more warning before he fired me.

I was fired a week after that incident (and he did not give me another warning like he said) . The reason he gave me was a lie. He said it was due to my performance. I just got a very good annual review (not written, just oral) & a 9% increase 2 weeks prior to this incident. When my boss fired me, he said that when he gave me that increase, it wasn't a performance increase afterall, it was a cost of living increase.

My question is this: Was my firing illegal? If so, what grounds do I have? (Texas is an at-will employment state). I researched the EEOC website but I didn't see anything on there that would apply to my situation.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

[QUOTE='Fired'-up girl]What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?TX

Long story I will try & make short. My ex-boss had been verbally abusive since I started work for him a year ago. Its a small company (me, my ex-boss and one other employee). When he references other females to me (I am a female) , he calls them the "B" word, along with some other choice words. He hates certain ethnic groups of people and will tell me that he will not take certain racial groups of people on as clients. He constantly yelled and cussed about one thing or another almost daily. One example, he would yell at me if I used big paperclips instead of small ones.

One day, I had enough of his verbal abuse and I gave him my opinion and told him that I didn't feel he was right in the statements he had made about certain groups of people. He yelled, with veins popping out of neck, "SHUT YOUR TRAP!!" I told him not talk to me that way. This was all in front of the remaining employee. He called me into his office and gave me a verbal warning and yelled at me to never, ever talk to him like I did and did I understand. He said this was a verbal warning and he would only give me one more warning before he fired me.

I was fired a week after that incident (and he did not give me another warning like he said) . The reason he gave me was a lie. He said it was due to my performance. I just got a very good annual review (not written, just oral) & a 9% increase 2 weeks prior to this incident. When my boss fired me, he said that when he gave me that increase, it wasn't a performance increase afterall, it was a cost of living increase.

My question is this: Was my firing illegal? If so, what grounds do I have? (Texas is an at-will employment state). I researched the EEOC website but I didn't see anything on there that would apply to my situation.[/QUOTE]

My response:

Nothing he did, or said, was illegal. The guy is definitely a pig, but being a pig isn't illegal. Some people don't like Negros, Caucasians, Hispanics, American Indians, etc., and it's not illegal to voice those beliefs - - even if it disturbs you. The same goes for his general attitude in the office. If he yells at you - - even if it's about paperclips - - there's nothing illegal about that. Some bosses yell, and have no social skills. That's life in the big city.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">