• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrongful termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Athina41

What is the name of your state? Florida

Can I be fired on the lies one coworker told my boss about me? I believe I will be terminated "for cause", though there is no proof for the "cause".

Thanks.

JETX

Athina41 said:
Can I be fired on the lies one coworker told my boss about me?
Yep. You are an 'at will' employee which simply means you can be terminated for ANY reason or no reason at all.... as long as it is not in violation of protected discriminatory classes (age, sex, disability, etc.).

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If the employer believes this person, then yes you can be fired and it will NOT be a wrongful termination, even if the employer is mistaken.

In order to qualify as a wrongful termination, it has to be ILLEGAL for the employer to fire you for this reason. No law forbids them from firing you because they believe you have done something wrong, even if you haven't.

Everything that is unfair is not illegal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">