• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breaking Car Lease Early

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DuchessofDuh

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Ontario Canada

I'm expecting a baby and will soon not be able to work. I just leased a new vehicle last august. If all my payments have been on time, in full and up to date. How much trouble can I get in if I voluntarily hand the car over because I can't afford to make payments? My future mother in law asked Ford US...I'm in canada. They told her that they'll threaten to sue and such but they can't really do anything because I voluntarily gave it up. Is this true? If I could keep the car I would but unfortunately for ford my coming baby is more important to me than them.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated Thank you

racer72

US law only. But in Canada the lease laws are very similar to the US. Your lease agreement is a legal and binding contract and you will be held liable for repaying the contract. There is no such thing as free give backs.

J

jbkidd

why in the hell would you buy a car when you know that you are going to be having a baby and cant afford it? my advice........party and play 1st, then have kids. Its called being responsible and adult like.

D

DuchessofDuh

Excuse me?

I said I bought the car last year...I'm 2 months pregnant...last time I checked I wasn't able to read the future. My bf and I became engaged and then I found out I was pregnant. Btw...I'm 27 and very responsible but not perfect...and highly doubt that you are. So lighten up on your insults and assumptions.

J

jbkidd

maybe you should read what you write? you said last august. Last august to me was august 2004, about 11 days ago. Not to responsible eh hooser. :)

D

DuchessofDuh

wow you really are a jerk kid...who are you God? Do you have a robe and a staff and a sign on your back saying "Be perfect lest yee be judged"? I hope that if you have children or when you have them....they have a little more compassion than you.

J

jbkidd

1st im not having children, and 2nd, why are u fetting so mad at something you wrote? last august, was august 2004. Dont get so mad, your the one providing the information. We here at free advice are just going by the facts and statements you give us? Are you sure your competent to mather a child? This forum is really throwing ya for a loop, what whill a child screaming at 3am in the morn do to ya? Good luck.

teflon_jones

Read your lease contract to see what provisions it has for early termination. In the US, most leases do not have any provisions and you're responsible for paying it for the entire term, or paying the buy-out amount in its entirety if you want to terminate it. Leases generally allow you to buy them out at any time, but that's not going to help you in your situation.

But, it all depends on what provisions YOUR lease has for early termination.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">