• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ID theft.. ideas?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

andr0195

What is the name of your state?MN
My older brother has been running around town using my name whenever he is pulled over. I have reciently found out he got a few tickets (one for no insurance, etc) and my license is suspended because of this.

He also is using my name at multiple hospitals trying to get narcotics.

I tried to contact the police department in heppenpin county (where the offenses took place) and they told me to file where I live. I called the anoka police and they told me to call where the offenses took place.

Any ideas how to A) clear up the ticket problems or B) have him prosecuted for the hospital thing (I was told this is 5th degree felony drugs)

Or other advice?

ptlmejo

First off, call the police where the violation occured, and re-report it to them. Insist they take the report telling them what the county in which you live stated. They should be the ones with jurisdiction.

Second, if he has your SSN, your problems could mount to more. I would put a watch on your credit files just in case. The numbers are:

Equifax (800) 525-6285
Experian (888) 397-3742
Trans Union (800) 680-7289

Also, should you detect usage of your SSN, call the SSA: (800) 269-0271

Third, about the citations. I would start by reporting that to the jurisdiction that issued the citations. They're probably going to file an obstructing charge on your brother though for providing the false name. If they tell you that since they're already issued, etc, etc, then call the clerk of courts in the county in which they were issued and explain the situation to them.

Lastly, the narcs. Not a whole lot you can do about that other than calling all area hospitals and advising them of the situation as well as your insurance carrier. Hopefully, they'll notate it in your files.

A

andr0195

dunno

Yea.. I contacted all the local hospitals. Noone will "note" my account.. they dont seem to care lol

I tried both the hennepin county police, as well as the fridley police. Neither will come out and talk to me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">