• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Returning Monies

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tigger22472

What is the name of your state?Indiana

Last month DH had his daughter benefits from HIS SSDI start being sent to a different account as they had been in the past. The reason for this is that his ex wife had control of these monies and although they weren't being used had basically claimed they HAD to be held for sd. He is going for a modification soon and planned to ask for at least half of these funds as there are things that are needed. The ex knew that and angryily said she would get ALL the money and hand it to him but obviously didn't do that. There are things we've planned to do for sd with that money and that's the reason for asking for it in the modificiation and having the money changed.

A few months ago SS sent a letter asking about the funds and I had confirmed that it was ok to save them. Today DH got a letter stating that the 'payee' had been changed (we're assuming a generated letter due to the change of accounts) and that all saved monies plus interest shall be returned to them unless there is arrangements made. Has this happened to anyone else. I'm thinking they might just be expecting the return of them and then redeposit them into the new account but we can't be sure of that. Anyone heard of this?

Whyte Noise

tigger, have you talked to the SSA yet?

The more I think about this... them saying that the payee had been changed... it makes me wonder if his ex hasn't contacted the SSA and had them change the rep. payee to her.

When I moved from Mo. to Tn., I had to of course change my DD info with the SSA. And I never received a "generated" letter saying anything about a change in Payee.

Mine may be different as it's my own benefits, and not for a child... but it still makes me wonder.... KWIM?

tigger22472

I thought about that for a bit but then remembered how 'secretive' SSA is. I'm considered the payee on my boys through dh and he can't even get any info on anything on them. So if he is/was considered the payee on his daughter the first time then if she called she shouldn't of been able to do anything. Looking at the date of the letter it is dated the 3rd which was the day the first payment was put into another account.

DH is calling later today to get the info. I'll post it when we find out anything.

tigger22472

Guess I'll post even though MG already knows the story.

DH called yesterday and found out that in fact his ex DID go to a SS office and have the payee changed. He has a meeting set up for later today at the SS office to not only have it changed back but inquire as to why she was even allowed access to do so. The SS office stated that he was to be informed that there was a quesiton of the payee being changed and yet he never did get a notice for that.

For those unaware this is not a case of my DH being an NCP. He has 50/50 physical custody (two weeks in each home) of his daughter. The only argument that we have been given so far as to what SHE used to get it changed was that we don't live in the school district... guess she failed to mention that dh still transports her to that school and she still resides in his home 50% of the time as well as required to provide 50% of all fees inquired by her.

He is going to look into more today as to if what she did and how she did it was legal and if not press charges accordingly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">