• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unsupervised prob..travel?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

farrell

What is the name of your state? CO
I entered into a deferred judgment about a year and a half ago for marijuana cultivation. I breezed through drug court (i.e. drug testing, therapy, fines etc.) and was released from supervised probation. My charges will not be dropped for another year and a half, but in the mean time I have been accepted into a language academy in Cairo (1 month long). Nobody seems to know if I have any international travel restrictions or not. My attorney, to whom I paid an obscene amount of money, has apparently moved away. The probation office told me that I'm no longer under their supervision so they have no say in the matter. How do I find out? Can I get a passport? Is there any way around hiring another attorney...I'm a starving student.

rmet4nzkx

The bar association should have a forwarding address for your old attoreny.
Call the court, ask.
Apply for your passport, don't you have the cart before the horse applying for an internaitonal school before having a passport or knowing if you can leave the country?
Also remember similar crimes in Egypt may have severe consequences.

JETX

farrell said:
How do I find out? Can I get a passport? Is there any way around hiring another attorney...I'm a starving student.
I doubt that the terms of your probation would allow you to leave the country. Heck, most don't allow you to leave the state!!
As for what your actual terms are.... you need to contact a supervisor in the Parole, or the court, or have an attorney. I wouldn't even consider leaving the state without a WRITTEN approval from an authorized party. Otherwise, you might be in for a HUGE surprise when you return.

F

farrell

JETX said:
I doubt that the terms of your probation would allow you to leave the country. Heck, most don't allow you to leave the state!!
As for what your actual terms are.... you need to contact a supervisor in the Parole, or the court, or have an attorney. I wouldn't even consider leaving the state without a WRITTEN approval from an authorized party. Otherwise, you might be in for a HUGE surprise when you return.
I'm not sure that you understand unsupervised probation. I have no domestic travel restrictions - that much I do know. And I'm not on parole so I don't think they have much of an idea. Can I just go into the court and put myself on the docket?

JETX

farrell said:
I'm not sure that you understand unsupervised probation.
I do.

I have no domestic travel restrictions - that much I do know.
You know.... or think?? If you know, how and by whom??

And I'm not on parole so I don't think they have much of an idea.
You're correct. I mispoke and shoud have said probation office.

Can I just go into the court and put myself on the docket?
Nope. You need to have someone read the file and see EXACTLY what it says as to the terms of your probation.

F

farrell

rmet4nzkx said:
The bar association should have a forwarding address for your old attoreny.
Call the court, ask.
Apply for your passport, don't you have the cart before the horse applying for an internaitonal school before having a passport or knowing if you can leave the country?
Also remember similar crimes in Egypt may have severe consequences.
The fee for applying for school was small enough that I felt comfortable risking it. I thought that if there were travel restrictions, I could plead a better case for them being waived if I were already accepted. Thanks for the tip; I will contact the bar assoc. And believe me, I won't be going anywhere near drugs of any kind...esp. in Egypt.

F

farrell

JETX said:
I do.

You know.... or think?? If you know, how and by whom??

You're correct. I mispoke and shoud have said probation office.

Nope. You need to have someone read the file and see EXACTLY what it says as to the terms of your probation.
-The probation office told me; they said that as far as they are concerned I am free to go wherever I please so long as I don't get any new charges, but they said that they have nothing to do with me anymore and couldn't help past that. Thanks for the help.

calatty

If the judge didn't tell you about travel restrictions, you are not on formal probation, your deferred judgment papers do not say anything about travel restrictions, your probation officer doesn't see a problem, and they give you a passport, no one can later claim that not travelling abroad was a condition of your probation. Enjoy your trip!

F

farrell

calatty said:
If the judge didn't tell you about travel restrictions, you are not on formal probation, your deferred judgment papers do not say anything about travel restrictions, your probation officer doesn't see a problem, and they give you a passport, no one can later claim that not travelling abroad was a condition of your probation. Enjoy your trip!
I'm praying...Thanks for the help and encouragement!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">