• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Noisy Neighbors - What recourse?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? South Carolina

I have some VERY noisy neighbors. They live above me and have about 5 kids that never sleep. They are constantly jumping off furniture, running very heavy-footedly through the apartment, and running up and down the stairs (my stairs lead to the door out of the apartments.) The parents seem to be on the porch 90% of the time smoking and throwing their cigarette butts out on the ground outside my porch.
What can I do? I've reported it to the landlord, and they said they would send a general noise letter to everyone in our building, but it never happened. Can I write a letter and post it on their door? I'm afraid this will only make it worse. Can I report this kind of noise to the police?

Thanks for any help!!!

HomeGuru

kevinreece said:
What is the name of your state? South Carolina

I have some VERY noisy neighbors. They live above me and have about 5 kids that never sleep. They are constantly jumping off furniture, running very heavy-footedly through the apartment, and running up and down the stairs (my stairs lead to the door out of the apartments.) The parents seem to be on the porch 90% of the time smoking and throwing their cigarette butts out on the ground outside my porch.
What can I do? I've reported it to the landlord, and they said they would send a general noise letter to everyone in our building, but it never happened. Can I write a letter and post it on their door? I'm afraid this will only make it worse. Can I report this kind of noise to the police?

Thanks for any help!!!
**A: and just how did you report this? Did you follow the L/T law? Did you reference the quiet enjoyment provisions in your lease? Did you send the notice in writing via certified rrr mail?

I reported it in person to one of the leasing agents. Last night after posting the message, I wrote up a letter that I delivered to them this morning asking them to take action. If this doesn't work, I'll send a certified letter to the Leasing Parent company and then go to the police.

Thanks for the suggestions!

HomeGuru

kevinreece said:
I reported it in person to one of the leasing agents. Last night after posting the message, I wrote up a letter that I delivered to them this morning asking them to take action. If this doesn't work, I'll send a certified letter to the Leasing Parent company and then go to the police.

Thanks for the suggestions!
**A: Ok, now you're on the right path. By the way, when you hand delivered the letter, did you get a signed receipt?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">