• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Uninsured motorist with no license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J777

What is the name of your state? CA

I was getting ready to get out of the parking lot & make a left on the "street". There were vehicles that were parallel parked on the right side of the "street" that blocked my view. I yielded and proceded on making a left turn when I thought it was clear when a car from the left hit me. My front left bumper was smashed and his front right was smashed. Granted that it seems like my fault (for supposedly not yielding the right of way) but if the other person does not have a driver's license, shouldn't he be at fault since we don't necessarily know if he knows how to drive. He didn't even have a permit or anything. He is of course uninsured also but the vehicle is registered in another's name. There was a police report and he impounded the vehicle for 30 days with 2,000 fine. My insurance said it was my fault and they are still covering the other person's car. I was told by some people that if you get into an accident with an unlicense person, that person is automatically at fault. Is that true? Need some professional advice on the matter. Thanks.

racer72

I was told by some people that if you get into an accident with an unlicense person, that person is automatically at fault.
Well, guess what? The some people you speak of are wrong. To be found at fault for an accident, one party must be negligent in their actions. Driving a vehicle without a license or insurance in not negligence. Pulling out in front of that driver is. Sorry, you lose this time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">