• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are the odds of getting this dismissed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hardertheycome

What is the name of your state? Washington

Alright Ill make this short. Basically, my dad has been in AA (court ordered) for a year now, and he now has formed some idea that any and all drug or alcohol use is entirely immoral and unforgiveable. Given that he knows I have experimented with marijuana and alcohol in the past, he is now trying to file an at-risk youth petition with the juvenile court system. I'll admit, I am not the worlds most obedient son, but if this petition is granted, I will be placed under court supervision, which is the equivalent of probation without commiting a crime. Now, given that I have never been accused or convicted of a crime, I pose absolutely no danger to myself or others, and the fact that I'll be 18 in six months, what are my options/odds of getting this petition dismissed?

HomeGuru

hardertheycome said:

Alright Ill make this short. Basically, my dad has been in AA (court ordered) for a year now, and he now has formed some idea that any and all drug or alcohol use is entirely immoral and unforgiveable. Given that he knows I have experimented with marijuana and alcohol in the past, he is now trying to file an at-risk youth petition with the juvenile court system. I'll admit, I am not the worlds most obedient son, but if this petition is granted, I will be placed under court supervision, which is the equivalent of probation without commiting a crime. Now, given that I have never been accused or convicted of a crime, I pose absolutely no danger to myself or others, and the fact that I'll be 18 in six months, what are my options/odds of getting this petition dismissed?

**A: I agree with his request.

H

hardertheycome

I did not ask for moral judgements on my father's decision. I asked for legal advice regarding my defense. Please refrain from replying to this thread unless you intend to share valid, tangible data regarding my defense. Thank you.

HomeGuru

hardertheycome said:
I did not ask for moral judgements on my father's decision. I asked for legal advice regarding my defense. Please refrain from replying to this thread unless you intend to share valid, tangible data regarding my defense. Thank you.

**A: ok, your odds are slim to none given your record.

H

hardertheycome

You are making an interesting assumption there. As I have previously stated, in the past I have used alcohol and marijuana. This hardly qualifies as a "record", considering the only way that my father or anybody else knows is through my own admission of doing so. My past is not something I am ashamed of, it is something I have learned from. Of course like any father/son relationship there are alot of factors and dynamics effecting this case that are too complex to relate on this message board, but in short my father is trying to punish me for my past.

Shay-Pari'e

hardertheycome said:
You are making an interesting assumption there. As I have previously stated, in the past I have used alcohol and marijuana. This hardly qualifies as a "record", considering the only way that my father or anybody else knows is through my own admission of doing so. My past is not something I am ashamed of, it is something I have learned from. Of course like any father/son relationship there are alot of factors and dynamics effecting this case that are too complex to relate on this message board, but in short my father is trying to punish me for my past.
The point is, it is illegal for you to be doing both.

HomeGuru

hardertheycome said:

Alright Ill make this short. Basically, my dad has been in AA (court ordered) for a year now, and he now has formed some idea that any and all drug or alcohol use is entirely immoral and unforgiveable.

**A: "he has formed some idea that any and all drug use........"
Get with the program. Drug and alcohol use is illegal, that's right illegal for you. You deserve to be punished. Also you need to stay in or continue your education.

HomeGuru

hardertheycome said:
You are making an interesting assumption there.

**A: thanks. I am really making an interesting assumption here not there. But then again, that is neither here or there.
As I have previously stated, in the past I have used alcohol and marijuana. This hardly qualifies as a "record", considering the only way that my father or anybody else knows is through my own admission of doing so.

**A: ok, then it really qualifies as dumb, stupid, ignorant, idiotic and most importantly illegal. Get the picture?

My past is not something I am ashamed of, it is something I have learned from.

**A: ok, then we'll be ashamed for you.
Of course like any father/son relationship there are alot

**A: a lot is two words. Like, you have a lot of nerve thinking that nothing is wrong with drugs and drinking.
of factors and dynamics effecting this case

**A: and the cause and effect is that the word is affect not effect.

that are too complex to relate on this message board, but in short my father is trying to punish me for my past.
**A: ok, now that I may have to agree with you on. May we suggest you consult with Dr. Phil?

H

hardertheycome

When I first stumbled upon this website, I thought it would be an excellent resource for obtaining legal advice from anonymous, impartial sources. However, I find myself completely blown away by the amount of presumptuous and self-righteous rhetoric I have had the misfortune of reading in the last 3 hours or so I have spent as a registered member of these forums. In this thread, and dozens of others, I have seen a myriad of condescending and egotistical attacks on the character of those who merely came here seeking legal advice. The arrogance it takes for any of you to presume to judge my character, or the character of anybody else on these forums, is absolutely overwhelming. I'm not sure which is more astonishing--the lack of intelligence on the part of many of those who request legal advice--or the lack of tact or compassion on the part of those who reply. Either way--I pity all of you.

Shay-Pari'e

No need to pity me, here is the thing.

It is illegal in this country for you to consume alcohol, and pot. Did you expect a different answer? On the non-legal side, I pity your father who is in recovery dealing with you. Do you not understand the desperate help your father needs? Apparently you are not mature enough to understand what he is requesting. It appears to me he does not want you to fall into the same addiction.

You pity the people responding to you? I pity your father who is trying to overcome his addiction, with you on here complaining that Dad say's no to his minor son drinking and doing pot.

Back to the legal answer that you came here for............It is against the law for a minor to consume alcohol..It is against the law for you to smoke pot.

What part of this answer do you not understand?

P.S.

The attitude was free also.

Last edited:
H

hardertheycome

Are you all incapable of reading, or what? Yes, I know it is illegal for me to drink or smoke pot. WHICH IS WHY I DON'T DO IT ANYMORE. Hence multiple uses of the phrase "in my past" throughout this thread. There is no reason for me to become a part of the juvenile court system at this date, because I am not doing anything illegal--that is why I am trying to get my father's petition dismissed, and that is why I came here seeking legal advice. Instead, I found condescension and self-righteousness.

Shay-Pari'e

Let's set aside your father is recovering from a alcohol addiction for a moment. If your father is petitioning the courts, then you are not being honest in your post.

It does not take a rocket scientist to figure this out.

Last edited:
H

hardertheycome

A wise person once told me, "Only a fool speaks of things of which they have no knowledge." Obviously, you have no knowledge of my father's history. He is incapable of handling money--even when the rent is a month past due, he still finds a way to buy more usesless **** off of eBay. (In excess of hundreds a month). He gets 400 dollars a month for me from SSI, because of my mother's death benefits...not one dime of which I believe he can account for. He also experiences severe mood swings (a by-product, I believe, of the SSRIs he was prescribed last year) and demonstrates erratic behavior on a regular basis. For example, I have come home on many occasions stone cold sober, not having even been in the same room with alcohol, and he will insist he smells beer on me, even when other people present cannot. He also tells me as often as he can that it is imperative I become a famous and successful writer, so he can live in retirement comfortably; going so far as to verbally attack me when I try to express that writing is not my planned career. I could probably fill three or four more posts with similiar anecdotal information, but I should hope that now you have a better understanding of the situation.

Shay-Pari'e

(QUOTE)A wise person once told me, "Only a fool speaks of things of which they have no knowledge." Obviously, you have no knowledge of my father's history.(QUOTE)

You are correct, we don't. If his past is relevant to your question, a wise man once told me you should state those facts. We are not mind readers. It still does not change the answer.

Ummonx

I dunno,

He hasn't been arrested, he has no record. legalities aside, I am going to have to side with the kid. Simply because one has experimented, doesn't necessarily mean that he is "at risk" Especially given the "offences" (alcohol and MJ).

Simply because something is illegal doesn't necessarily mean its immoral. Quite possibly MJ will become legal at some point here or in canada and the laws banning it stem from an economic battle between the hemp and wood producers in the early 20th century. It continues to be illegal today because of the moralist prohibitionists, not because its a dangerous drug.

As for alcohol, (a considerably more dangerous drug then MJ might I add) while it may be illegal for someone under 21 to drink, again, that was put into effect to lower DWI deaths. Not because it was somehow "immoral".

As for the poster, I wish you luck. You seem like an intelligent person. luckilly you will only have 6 months of this nonsense. I would try to pospone any court action as long as you could.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">