• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Help/ Information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

worriedmother26

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I live in Indiana and kinda have a problem. I am unfortunately putting a spin on the Gparents Posts. I have a Gparent (of my son) who lives in same state who was being very rude and going against what we had agreed to doing about a piece of property they wanted to repo from us. Instead of commin over when husband was here they came over and Demanded me to open my door to them and was yelling and beating on the doors. They then call and harrass me on the phone and left messages on there swearing and telling me I was making things worse by not letting them in. Then it gets worse. The Grandpa leaves and goes to find the police. The grandma stays and kicks my door and yells and rings doorbell over and over trying to make me mad which it did not all it done was scare me and my son casue they were being loud and doing this with force and it was scarry. I was not sure if it was me or just husband they were mad at that day but they claim it was just husband. I call my husband and tell him what is going on He tells me to call the cops and have them both removed from property, I do and then she stands on my porch and calls me names to the cop(BAD names) and proceeds to bad mouth me in my yard and She then Flipps us(me and my son, we were lookin out the window to make sure they left)off as they leave. My son seen & heard it all and then asks why she said it and why she was kicking our door and trying to scare us and why she put her bad finger up at us. I had to explain to him that they were just mad and couldn't explain to him why I was being called the nasty name. I told him not to worry about the rest of it that Daddy will take care of it when he gets home. OK well he came home and trouble got worse. The G-ma threatened us and said (and I quote)* that if we thought today was bad just wait til she is through with us* We told her that she is not going to see our son (Her grandson) for a while because of what they did and because they upset and scared us. Then a few days later we find out they are taking us to court over the property we had and told them they can get it now that it was unlocked and husband was there and they refused to come get it and decided to pass our house and keep going. When we found out the court was set we(me and husband) talked and decided that it would be best to settle out of court. When we got email back it said alot of nasty things and had in there that *she was going to make a few phone calls because of a few things I had previously said about my son* which i checked out and I never said anything about him in any previous messages or emails and Now I am trying to find out if with all that was told here and what she done is it possible she would even have a chance to try for custody or any rights she may think she has?
To me when you threaten and harrass people and do some of the things that were done to us those people give up their rights whatever they may be at the time and I feel I have the right as his MOTHER to make the decision of who he sees adn where he goes and when he goes there. Being as me and husband are together and No marital problems,both have good jobs and are Good Christians and attend church regularly and our son has food clothing and shelter at all times I feel there is no way she can even try to take him away from us but there is always the chance we will be taken to court over him and I need some help on either what i should/ could do or if there is even anything to worry about? The email she sent had in there that *she was his g-ma and she will see him no matter what,no matter if it was now or years down the road* and then also had in the same email that she was going to do something about my son and not getting to see him but didnt want to hurt my son. Is there anything as his Mother that i can do to keep him from having to deal with them and DO i have the right to not let them see him if i choose not to? The father backs me 100% and does not want his mother to have anything to do with him for a long while. WHAT do I do and How do I go about doing it if anything needs to be done...????

Worriedmother26

Last edited:

LdiJ

I did read the whole thing. Your husband's parents cannot get custody of your son unless they can prove you both unfit from a legal perspective. They obviously have no basis for that and a reputable attorney would tell them that.

As far as grandparent visitation is concerned, they do not have standing to sue for grandparent visitation in Indiana, because you are an "intact" family.
(both parents married and living together with the child)

So you can ignore her threats. She is trying to scare you and upset you even more than she already has. I agree that some "space" between all of you is probably the wisest thing right now. Maybe in the future the family relationships can be mended.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">