• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Juvenile vs Adult Laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Toxic

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

My now 18 year old daughter was put on probation about 6 months ago, for 90 days. I know, that sounds odd. The first 2 months, no one from Court Services ever filed the paper work for her STS (community service) so the put her on another 90 days. (this was not her fault) Now, for whatever reason, they have again extended her probation. She was doing community service and struggled with some of the tasks they required of her. She is now 8 months pregnant, and cannot do the long days they are requesting. My question is this: Since she was put on probation (shouldn't have been in the first place) when she was 17, and has now turned 18, does her juvenile probation still exist, or should she be able to walk? Along time ago, I was told that would you did as a juvenile could not be held against you as an adult, any truth to this? If someone reading this needs a better explanation as to why I feel she should have never been put on probation, or ever appear in court, I can do so. Can anyone help me out with my question??

Thanks

Tox

racer72

Sentences imposed on minors under the age of 18 can last till the person turns 21. And her juvenile record cannot be used against her if she is charged as an adult unless she is still under court supervision, which your daughter is. So till she completes her sentence or turns 21, the juvenile court system still has jurisdiction for what she did at 17.

Toxic

Contesting Restitution and Misc.

Minnesota

Let me explain this situation as best I can. My 17 year old daughter was with 2 guys, one of them her boyfriend and now the father of her soon to be child (he wants nothing to do with her or the baby). This guys mom divorced his step dad and told her son that she wanted all of his stuff out of the garage. He had an old transmission in the garage that they talked my daughter into throwing it in her trunk and hauling it to a tranny shop, and sold it for 100 bucks. At that time, she did not even realize that it was theft, and to this day still thinks the same. About 6 months later, she gets the court summons in the mail and has no idea why. We went to court, plead guilty because we felt we couldn't fight the system, and she got 90 days probation, 15 hours of community service, and ordered to pay restitution, an amount not yet determined. It took the court services 60 days to file the community service papers, so they extended her probation another 90 days because she had not served yet. None of this was her fault and openly admitted by a case worker yesterday that the county screwed up the paperwork.

We were informed yesterday, because they finally found the owner of this transmission (he was living out of his car) that the cost of restitution was going to be $2100 split between her and the co-defendant (the idiot father of her child). This is where its gets concerning. The guy, and his mother, now have the same car that the transmission was in sitting in there garage, supposedly because the step dad owed child support for the other 3 children he had with this gal. They are contesting the restitution, and we are considering the same. Based on all the rambling I did above, do we have any chance of beating this cost? For whatever reason, the 3rd person in this incident, the other guy, was never charged. Any suggestions?

We will get into the question of child support and my daughters rights in another forum, real soon!

Thanks

Tom

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">