• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer wants a copy of my DL.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jolson

What is the name of your state? Michigan

My employer has requested a "xerox" copy of my driver license. The request came through our email system and applies to all employees who drive fleet vehicles or may have occasional opportunity to drive one.

I understand the need for the employer to verify that I have a DL, but do they have a right to ask for a xerox copy of it? I am concerned about my privacy and identity theft. The HR department in the past has done such wonderful things as "accidentally" sending out an email to everyone in the company containing several employees' social security numbers.

They already publish a list of employees' address, home phone number, and birthdate. I am just waiting for this list to "accidentally" make it onto the internet.

Beth3

Yes, they have the right to insist upon a photocopy of your DL. Among other things, their insurance company very likely wants this information so they (or the employer) can check driving records.

What you certainly can do is explain to your boss and HR your concerns about keeping this information private and shared only on a "need to know" basis, particularly given the prior accident with the SS #'s.

I wouldn't worry about your home phone, address, and birthdate being published though. Unless you have worked very hard to keep that information confidential, it's all in the public domain and easily accessed by anyone with a computer or a phone book. SS#'s are another matter though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">