• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance / Accident on private property / expired license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

InsuranceHelp

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NJ

Hi:
A friend of mine drove my car and got into an accident. Though it was not his fault ( I have witness for the same), since it was in a parking lot, NJ Cops would not investigate ( Apparently they will not investigate any accidents on private properties).

To make things worse, when the cop arrived we realized that my friend's license expired the day before and he did not realize that because he just returned from his trip outside the country. The cops understood that and did not give him the ticket.

The other person who hit my car, apologized and said he would cover for the damage and we agreed to do that as the cops were not investigating and writing a report anyway.

So in summary, there was no report by cops, no ticket for my friend and a committment from the person who hit my car that he will pay for it.

Now after a week, this person is declining to pay up for the damages ( close to $3500).

Here are my questions

1. Will my insurance cover me as my friend's license had expired when he was driving. He did not get a ticket though
2. Will this be recorded as "at fault" accident and bump my insurance?
3. What should I do to make the other person pay up as it was clearly his mistake.

Highly Appreciate if someone can advise me on this complicated issue

Thanks

You Are Guilty

InsuranceHelp said:
Here are my questions

1. Will my insurance cover me as my friend's license had expired when he was driving. He did not get a ticket though
2. Will this be recorded as "at fault" accident and bump my insurance?
3. What should I do to make the other person pay up as it was clearly his mistake.
Here are my answers

1. Maybe. All insurance policies are different. Since you probably never read yours and I know I sure haven't, why not call your agent and ask?
2. No way to know for certain, but there's a good chance it will be.
3. You can either sue him in Small Claims or inflict bodily harm with a large piece of wood. I suggest the former.

InsuranceHelp said:
Welcome

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">