• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I probably don't have a case but....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sharonmshepard

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I worked in a small, family-owned company for just over 1 year. In that time I had never received a written warning of poor performance. My boss (and his daughter) kept instances of "things that I screwed up" in their email. I was part of the management team, not just a schmuck doing day-to-day things. The both of them were verbally abusive on a daily basis, often screaming at me and other employees in front of the office. I was terminated for "typos" in my documents which also happened to coincide with a rather lengthy (and supposedly confidential) submission to our "suggestion box." When I left I was told that if I forgot anything I could come back and get it. That was almost two weeks ago and I have not been allowed back in the office. My employer also made it clear that he prefers catholics and republicans and often had us sign documents (at our own free will) supporting his beliefs. On one occasion he had us take leftover chips and cookies that were paid for by someone else but were not going to be used and bring them to our tradeshow booth.

1. Does the owner of the company have to follow the personnel policy?
2. I was not informed that my last paycheck would be held in the office and found out today that it is being overnighted to my house, any recourse?
3. If you are paid in any part of a month is your healthcare coverage extended for that month or does it end on the last day of employment?
4. Can the employer hold my things for an indefinate period of time?
5. Do I have a case for wrongful termination based on verbal abuse, not signing his documents, or stealing or can they say that I was fired for typos?

Beth3

1. Does the owner of the company have to follow the personnel policy? No.

2. I was not informed that my last paycheck would be held in the office and found out today that it is being overnighted to my house, any recourse? Recourse for what? Your last paycheck is on the way to your home.

3. If you are paid in any part of a month is your healthcare coverage extended for that month or does it end on the last day of employment? That dependds entirely upon the terms of the contract with the insurance company.

4. Can the employer hold my things for an indefinate period of time? No but there's no specific time line. If the belongings have value and they're never returned, you can file suit in small claims court. An easier course would be to make a list of the items that belong to you and send it to the owner and ask for them to be returned by [reasonable date.]

5. Do I have a case for wrongful termination based on verbal abuse, not signing his documents, or stealing or can they say that I was fired for typos? This is not remotely a wrongful termination. They can fire you for any reason except a specifically prohibited reason (your age, race, gender, etc.)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And they can say you were fired for any reason that is true or that they have reason to believe is true.

S

sharonmshepard

I was supposed to be paid on 9/7 and wasn't informed that my check was not being direct deposited as usual and had to wait a week to get my money.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
They are not legally obligated to tell you that your last check will be live instead of direct deposited. It would be polite, of course, but not legally required.

If you quit, they do not have to pay you until the next regular payday. If you are fired, they are supposed to have your check on your last day of work.

You can file a complaint with the AG's office (they function as the DOL in MA) but if you have your check now you can count on being a low priority.

Dandy Don

Aren't you glad to be away from that horrible place and won't it be easy for you to find employment elsewhere? And ask someone to show you how to use the spell checking function on a computer or in a word processing program so you'll do better on your next job.

S

sharonmshepard

Yes, I am VERY glad to be out of that horrible place with 1 toilet for 27 employees. I had no typos in any of my documents it was a lack of communication by my boss to express his changes and when they weren't done I was yelled at because I'm a mind-reader, don't ya know. Unfortunately, there are not very many jobs available in MA right now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">