• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

14 yr old accused of grand theft after returning the item.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

PanteraBabe

undefinedWhat is the name of your state?California.

My 14 yr old son was recently cited for grand theft of a laptop computer. wouldn't it be grand theft if he was caught with the laptop in his possession other then being cited for grand theft after he had returned it?
my son was at a friends house with a couple of other friends. he left with the other boys because he was sstaying overnight with one of them. he noticed the laptop sitting outside of the friends house they had just left. he picked it up, and took it with him. the following morning he had brought it back to the friends mother who in return called the police and reported it stolen along with a cd player and cd. which neither of the items did my son have in his possession. can anyone please give me some advice on this situation because i have no knowledge on how the juvenile system works.?

Last edited:

HomeGuru

PanteraBabe said:
undefinedWhat is the name of your state?California.

My 14 yr old son was recently cited for grand theft of a laptop computer. wouldn't it be grand theft if he was caught with the laptop in his possession other then being cited for grand theft after he had returned it?
my son was at a friends house with a couple of other friends. he left with the other boys because he was sstaying overnight with one of them. he noticed the laptop sitting outside of the friends house they had just left. he picked it up, and took it with him. the following morning he had brought it back to the friends mother who in return called the police and reported it stolen along with a cd player and cd. which neither of the items did my son have in his possession. can anyone please give me some advice on this situation because i have no knowledge on how the juvenile system works.?
**A: well it's time to start learning. Even if he returned it, he can still be cited and charged. Consider the example of a bank robber going into a bank and stealing money. Then the next day showing up and returning the money.
Was a crime commited? Sh*t yeah.

P

PanteraBabe

14 yr old accused of grand theft after returning item

california.
So what can possibly happen to him/us when we go to court? will they give him time in juvenile hall for his very first offense?

CdwJava

PanteraBabe said:
california.
So what can possibly happen to him/us when we go to court? will they give him time in juvenile hall for his very first offense?
They CAN give him juvenile hall, but it's doubtful. He will most likely get probation for a few years, plus fines and community service.

It depends on the county you live in.

However, given the nature of the crimes I would strongly encourage you to retain local counsel.

Carl

rmet4nzkx

That story won't fly either, if he really had "found" it outside the house he left why not just put it back inside, or call the owners or the police, if they were just taking it to protect it, really?

HomeGuru

rmet4nzkx said:
That story won't fly either, if he really had "found" it outside the house he left why not just put it back inside, or call the owners or the police, if they were just taking it to protect it, really?

**A: yes, we all know that it was a lame excuse. But I really want to know is where is the CD player and the rap CD?

P

PanteraBabe

rap cd?

HomeGuru said:
**A: yes, we all know that it was a lame excuse. But I really want to know is where is the CD player and the rap CD?
i never said it was a rap cd. don't know what kind of cd. he never took it...

rmet4nzkx

PanteraBabe said:
i never said it was a rap cd. don't know what kind of cd. he never took it...
There was a thread the other day when a mother blamed her son caught by the police while, hanging with his "friends" and a switchblade, she blamed it on rap cd's, the thread is erased so I can't point you to it. The point being it was more the company her son kept and to be cautions. Likewise, you need to be careful the ocmpany your son keeps, his future will depend on it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">