• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Painting my side of a wall

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Sharla Staab

What is the name of your state? CA

My neighbor put up a pink cinder block wall in between our houses in the front yards of our homes. It extends from the wall that already existed between our homes in the back yard. He built this without consulting us and our side is right on the property line. We painted our side of the wall white so that it would match our house. He is mad that we didn't consult him before painting our side and I think he wants us to pay for half of the wall even though he didn't consult us before building it. Can he do that? I consulted the city before painting and they said it would be fine, but now I'm not so sure.

BelizeBreeze

Did you or the neighbor have a survey to determine where the wall sits in relation to the property line? I bet not.

So, if neighborboy wants you to pay for half the wall, tell him to get a survey and then you'll require him to take down each and every cinder that intrudes upon your property.

On the flip side, if the wall is entirely on his property, he can sue you to return the wall to it's previous condition. But nothing will stop you from errecting your own wall on your property to hide his.

It's GAMESMANSHIP bubba. And I'm DAMN good at it ;)

S

Sharla Staab

I'm pretty sure he didn't get a survey. His builder showed my husband where the wall was being built after they had already started digging up the yard between our houses. I guess on the sidewalk in front of our house there is a little mark that shows the line. Can he really sue us if the wall that we painted is ON the property line?

BelizeBreeze

Can he really sue us if the wall that we painted is ON the property line?
That's NOT what I said. i SAID if a survey shows the wall is entirely on his side of the property line then yes, he can sue you for the cost of repainting the wall, simply put, because you crossed the property line to deface his property.

Now, go re-read my response and this time, correctly.

Happy Trails

Sharla Staab said:
What is the name of your state? CA

My neighbor put up a pink cinder block wall in between our houses in the front yards of our homes. It extends from the wall that already existed between our homes in the back yard. He built this without consulting us and our side is right on the property line. We painted our side of the wall white so that it would match our house. He is mad that we didn't consult him before painting our side and I think he wants us to pay for half of the wall even though he didn't consult us before building it. Can he do that? I consulted the city before painting and they said it would be fine, but now I'm not so sure.
**The city shouldn't have given you permission. That's just crazy.

S

Sharla Staab

I have read your response but you refer to sides of the property line. Is he entitled to build on the THE LINE itself? Referring to your first post, if he is ON THE LINE does that mean he may have to tear the wall down if we don't like it. The wall is on his side of the property line, but it also extends to and lies on top of the line itself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">