• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

statutory rape, restraining orders, etc...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

poxinabox

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I am a 16 year old female, previously dating a 38 year old man who was under the impression that I was 21 when we met. I ran away from home and lived with this man for 3 weeks, all the while him believing that I was 21 and that this was a strange but perfectly legal relationship. The police finally found where I was staying, I told this man the truth about my age, and he brought me home. Now I have several questions on the situation:

1) As I am 16, sex with this man was consenting--correct? Even though the Georgia age of consent is 16, does the age difference (22 years) play a role in the outcome of the situation?
2) Can my father place a restraining order on this man? I have been keeping in contact with this man through cell phone (which he pays for) but have not seen him since I told him I was 16 and he brought me home. He refuses to see me without my father's consent. He has never abused or threatened me in any way.
3) Rumor has it that at 17 years of age, one can move out of their parent's home and live with whom they wish. Is this true? I do not wish to do so but my question is that if I am allowed to live with whom I wish, then can I see this man legally when I turn 17 without my father's consent?
4) Based on the current situation (I have only spoken with this man by telephone since he brought me home) what charges can be brought against him? Will I have any say in the outcome?
Thank you.

AHA

poxinabox said:
What is the name of your state? Georgia

I am a 16 year old female, previously dating a 38 year old man who was under the impression that I was 21 when we met. I ran away from home and lived with this man for 3 weeks, all the while him believing that I was 21 and that this was a strange but perfectly legal relationship. The police finally found where I was staying, I told this man the truth about my age, and he brought me home. Now I have several questions on the situation:

1) As I am 16, sex with this man was consenting--correct? Even though the Georgia age of consent is 16, does the age difference (22 years) play a role in the outcome of the situation?
2) Can my father place a restraining order on this man? I have been keeping in contact with this man through cell phone (which he pays for) but have not seen him since I told him I was 16 and he brought me home. He refuses to see me without my father's consent. He has never abused or threatened me in any way.
3) Rumor has it that at 17 years of age, one can move out of their parent's home and live with whom they wish. Is this true? I do not wish to do so but my question is that if I am allowed to live with whom I wish, then can I see this man legally when I turn 17 without my father's consent?
4) Based on the current situation (I have only spoken with this man by telephone since he brought me home) what charges can be brought against him? Will I have any say in the outcome?
Thank you.
Are you asking us if the sex was consentual? We weren't there so we wouldn't know.
Are you in love with this father figure?

P

poxinabox

Yes, the sex was consenting on mine and his part. I'm asking if the state will see it as such.
As for being in love with this man, 16 is too young to be planning my whole family life with one man, but I do carry strong feelings for him.

rmet4nzkx

The age of consent in Ga. is 16, however there are a number of other laws under which he can be charged if your father or the police decide to press charges. Has he been charged with anything? Does your father know you two are still communicating?

P

poxinabox

My father is aware that we are still communicating by phone. He has threatened to take the cell phone away from me.
As of now, he has not been charged with anything, but in the past he has had two DUIs and a possession of marjuana charge placed on him. I don't know if that will alter any future decisions though.

rmet4nzkx

If your father has threatened to take the cell phone and he can BTW, that should be a BIG clue that he does not approve of the relationship. Your friend has enough sense to reurn you to your home and to not want to see you until you have your father's approvial, continuing the relationship is not how you are going to earn your father's approvial.

Since you realize that you are too young to make a life commitment I would suggest you end the relationship, totally and when you are 18 if you two have strong feeling towards each other, you are free to have a relaitonsip. A lot can happen in that time, for both of you.

P

poxinabox

But as of now, what charges can be placed on this man? I really don't want to see his career and lifestyle in jeoperdy because of my mistake of leading him on to believe I was 21.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Then get the he** out of his life. You are not doing him any favors by continuing to communicate with him.

rmet4nzkx

Tell him you are sorry for misleading him, end the relationship tell him why, tell your father, give your father the cell phone so he can return it to your friend. Then move on with your life, work hard in school so you will have a future where you will be in control of your future and not dependent on someone else.

P

poxinabox

That's the thing... I told him that he is free to turn off the cell phone, but he does not want to until I am sure that my father will take it away. I don't think that there are any laws making it illegal for us to talk on the phone, and so long as he doesn't come in physical contact with me then I don't see how my father can press charges on him.
The police came to his house a few days after I had come home and questioned him about me. He was truthful with the officer and no charges are going to be made against him through the police as of now.
I'm asking what say my father has on the matter if he talks with an attorney. Can this man be charged with harbouring a runaway if the police don't file the charge?
Also, what freedoms do I have when I turn 17 in Georgia? Is waiting another year (until I turn 18) my only totally legal way of continuing a relationship with this man?

P

poxinabox

I see your point. Continuing this relationship is harmful for the both of us. I home school and take several college courses and I am not skilled in making and keeping friends so this is difficult. I do want to be successful and independent in life, and this man wants that for me as well. I think the mature thing to do on my part is to not accept his calls because obviously he cannot see the mental harm that day-dreaming about this relationship will do. I just have never been good at breaking hearts...

BelizeBreeze

poxinabox said:
I see your point. Continuing this relationship is harmful for the both of us. I home school and take several college courses and I am not skilled in making and keeping friends so this is difficult. I do want to be successful and independent in life, and this man wants that for me as well. I think the mature thing to do on my part is to not accept his calls because obviously he cannot see the mental harm that day-dreaming about this relationship will do. I just have never been good at breaking hearts...
Are you frikkin for real? Breaking hearts? This MAN is screwing a child. The only thing you'll break is his H***on and he'll find some other child to screw.

Dump his ass like yesterday or pay the price. Otherwise, you're just another stupid kid playing at adult games and guess who the loser will be?

P

poxinabox

I'm sorry, but its not like he was looking to date a minor. I don't think this is entirely his fault as I was the one who lied about my age. He says now our relationship has changed but he does not want to just abandon me.

BelizeBreeze

poxinabox said:
I'm sorry, but its not like he was looking to date a minor. I don't think this is entirely his fault as I was the one who lied about my age. He says now our relationship has changed but he does not want to just abandon me.
Grow the hell up. Who cares if you told him you were 21 or not? A man his age has no business dating a child. 16 OR 21. And what the hell did you think he'd want with you anyway? It's called getting laid dear. And that's ALL he's playing you for.

Geeez, pull your head out of your ass before you end up pregnant and in a trailer in the backwoods.

P

poxinabox

But aside from the moral issues involved in this, can someone tell me the legal issues that the both of us are up against in a worst case scenario?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">