• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Leavig the Scene...PLEASE HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kiuppo

Last weds, Sep 8 I was on my way to work. The car in front of the car i was behind slammed on its brakes. I did not stop in time, and rear ended the car in front of me, hard-going about 25-30mph. She immediately sped away. I follwed. She noticed down the road and pulled into a parking lot. I got out w/insurance card in hand ready to exchange info. She said she didnt want to because she didnt it have her info on her. There was what appeared to be a scratch on her bumper and she said not to worry about it, that she was late getting her sister to school and had to leave. I asked her for her cell phone number so i could get a hold of her later. She gave it to me without asking for a contact number in return. I offered my contact number that she entered in her flustered hurry to leave, which she abrubtly did after entering my number, leaving me in a parking lot with an inoperable vehicle (i had noticed in the lot my radiator tore open in the smash) It is now Sep 13 and i recieve a call from her saying she called her insurance company and they said "your not covered for that because you don't have full insurance." Fishy to me. Then she says the damages are worse than she initially though and that it was going to run $500. I had already had my truck repaired over the weekend. ($3000 worth of repair). that I paid for on my own. When I told her I couldn't come off $500 at once and she said "well, 2 or 3 hundred dollars will work to help me with the repair cost." Something seems fishy to me. What if anything do I need to worry about if I just tell her I'm not paying for the repairs because I gave her the opportunity to exchange info and she didnt want to. Is there a statute of limitations on her filing a claim? For all I know she got hit again since i hit her, that driver took off and now shes looking for someone to foot the bill. Or she just wants money. PLEASE HELP!
Kiuppo

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

kiuppo said:
Last weds, Sep 8 I was on my way to work. The car in front of the car i was behind slammed on its brakes. I did not stop in time, and rear ended the car in front of me, hard-going about 25-30mph. She immediately sped away. I follwed. She noticed down the road and pulled into a parking lot. I got out w/insurance card in hand ready to exchange info. She said she didnt want to because she didnt it have her info on her. There was what appeared to be a scratch on her bumper and she said not to worry about it, that she was late getting her sister to school and had to leave. I asked her for her cell phone number so i could get a hold of her later. She gave it to me without asking for a contact number in return. I offered my contact number that she entered in her flustered hurry to leave, which she abrubtly did after entering my number, leaving me in a parking lot with an inoperable vehicle (i had noticed in the lot my radiator tore open in the smash) It is now Sep 13 and i recieve a call from her saying she called her insurance company and they said "your not covered for that because you don't have full insurance." Fishy to me. Then she says the damages are worse than she initially though and that it was going to run $500. I had already had my truck repaired over the weekend. ($3000 worth of repair). that I paid for on my own. When I told her I couldn't come off $500 at once and she said "well, 2 or 3 hundred dollars will work to help me with the repair cost." Something seems fishy to me. What if anything do I need to worry about if I just tell her I'm not paying for the repairs because I gave her the opportunity to exchange info and she didnt want to. Is there a statute of limitations on her filing a claim? For all I know she got hit again since i hit her, that driver took off and now shes looking for someone to foot the bill. Or she just wants money. PLEASE HELP!
Kiuppo

My response:

She can sue you in the Ventura Small Claims court. Where is everyone's insurance?

You don't need to worry about the Statute of Limitations. For property damages, it's 3 years. What you have to "worry about" is her making a personal injury claim in addition. That's 2 years in California. Pay her off and have her sign a Release of All Claims.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">