• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

information disclosure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

K-Dawg

What is the name of your state?washington
I just want to know what information is legal to disclose between a past employer and a prospective employer? I have a little case of character defamation going on and want to know if it was even legal for my past employer to say anything at all when a prospective employer called for a job reference....

Beth3

Your past employers are free to share anything they wish to when contacted for a reference, with the exception of medical information they may have about you that they obtained through their health insurance plan.

If they feel that you did a great job, they're free to say that. If they feel you did a lousy job, they may say that. If you were fired for misconduct or absenteeism, they may share that information.

As long as the information provided is factually truthful and represents their honest opinion, they are free to share it without repercussions. If they are lying about you however or are negligent in their statements and you suffer damages as a result, then you may have the basis of a claim against them for slander.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Despite a widespread belief that an employer is limited to sharing nothing but dates of employment, job title and possibly salary, no Federal law and no law in any state limits an employer in this way. There would be no point whatsoever to even bothering with references if this were the case. The employer is free to share any information that is true or that they honestly believe to be true. In fact, there are situations in which the employer could be held legally liable if they do NOT share further information about the employee.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">