• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

no car -- no insurance -- right?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wisard

I'm in Washington State (*not* DC).

I have a motorcycle, which does NOT require auto insurance.

Am I required to have proof of insurance when driving someone else's car?

The situation: I go to a party. At the party, one of the folks becomes unable to drive home, and asks me to help. His car needs a muffler, and we get stopped on the way for noise. I then get a ticket for failure to provide proof of insurance. Later I find out that the owner of the car doesn't have any insurance. What is my defense when I go to see the Judge later this week?

I would simply explain the situation at hand.

Tell them exactly what happened. Obvously the car is not in your name. I'm also assuming you have a driver's license?

They should not give you a ticket for failure to show insurance. I've had this happen to me before driving my SISTER's car. I had not IDEA that she didn't have insurance, and I got pulled over. I explained the situation to the officer, got a ticket, and then I went to court, and stated my case. They threw mine out, and got rid of the ticket.

racer72

Of course the info supplied by karihager1982 will not work in this state. Washington state law states that financial resposibility is the responsiblity of the operator of the motor vehicle, not the owner. That is why no proof of insurance is required to license the vehicle as is required in some other states. And most judges hear the same excuse as yours on a daily basis and I have never seen one overturn the ticket. Follow stephenk's advice.

JETX

wisard said:
Am I required to have proof of insurance when driving someone else's car?
Yes. Per the Revised Washington Code:
RCW 46.30.020
Liability insurance or other financial responsibility required -- Violations -- Exceptions.
(1)(a) No person may operate a motor vehicle subject to registration under chapter 46.16 RCW in this state unless the person is insured under a motor vehicle liability policy with liability limits of at least the amounts provided in RCW 46.29.090, is self-insured as provided in RCW 46.29.630, is covered by a certificate of deposit in conformance with RCW 46.29.550, or is covered by a liability bond of at least the amounts provided in RCW 46.29.090. Written proof of financial responsibility for motor vehicle operation must be provided on the request of a law enforcement officer in the format specified under RCW 46.30.030.

The situation: I go to a party. At the party, one of the folks becomes unable to drive home, and asks me to help.
You decline as driving a vehicle without insurance is a violation of the law.

What is my defense when I go to see the Judge later this week?
As correctly noted by others.... you don't have one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">