• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm afraid to go back to the dentist

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New York

Hi-- anyone have similar experiences/opinions to share??

Here's the story:

I've been going to this dentist for about 7 years... haven't had any work done except semi-annual cleanings. Was putting off having a filling done because I wasn't having any apparent problems with the tooth in question. Finally gave in to having the filling done about 4 months ago... There was no pain in the tooth (upper rear molar) before I let the dentist loose to do his thing. He said I needed a cap because of the extent of the decay. I agreed to it. Well, the pain was horrific, and he ended up performing an emergency root canal within a couple of days of being fitted for the permanent crown. When I went back to have the permanent crown put on, the dentist had to grind the crown to make it fit "properly".... it in no way resembles a tooth in the "feel" of it (i can't see it), and there seems to be a point of pressure that causes discomfort... the dentist also told me that I needed to have another tooth filled, so an appointment was made for the next month. This time he decided that once again I needed to cap the tooth, but it was actually 2 teeth that needed crowning. Stupid me agreed again. Got fitted for the permanent and had 2 temps placed. Didn't have the horrific pain like the first crown, until the temp fell off, then experienced extreme temperature sensitivity... (only had minor sensitivity in this area prior to his work).... had the permanent crown put on and now I have a constant dull throbbing and temperature sensitivity. Sometimes it's in the front of my mouth and up in my ear. These permanent crowns feel more like my natural teeth, they are smooth and rounded and don't feel like a piece of cardboard draped over my teeth, but the dentist did grind one of my LOWER teeth to "properly fit the crown" (which was on a UPPER tooth) and now says that I need to have a filling down there!!! When he was fitting the crown, he didn't give me anesthesia, so I was dealing with the explosive pain in my head from his poking and prodding to set the crown, but now that I'm continually under the influence of over the counter pain killers so that I can eat in peace, I realize that I've become fearful of seeing this dentist because I suspect that HE has caused most of my recent dental problems. I'm in pain, but I don't know what to do. I've made another appointment with another dentist, but I don't know what good that will do, except rack up another huge bill to root canal the two teeth I just had capped. And what are the chances that another dentist is going to admit that one of his fraternity may have defrauded me???? How stupid am I?? Should I just continue eating aspirin every four hours and deal with it??? Do I have any legal recourse??? Do I have to pay for the crowns??? Is there a "complaint/dispute process that I should commence?? Basically, I just want to be out of pain, and I don't want to pay the dentist for what I believe to be shoddy work (or unnecessary work)..... any opinions?????? Thanks!

Shay-Pari'e

I read your entire post, and honestly, I do not see anything out of the norm with your procedures, other than you needing more numbing shots with the one procedure.

A dentist needs to grind your bottom tooth in order for your bite to feel right, so it doesn't matter if it was a upper tooth that got the crown, he was probobly preparing that tooth for work also.

Last edited:

ellencee

gr8smile1966
Keep your appointment with the second dentist. You should not be having the discomfort that you are describing and the pain needs to be evaluated. It could be from nerve injury or compression, or the tooth under the crown has decay or loss of gum tissue, or any number of tooth/gum related problems.

Rinsing your mouth with warm salt water, Listerine (or a generic equivalent) full-strength or half-strength, should provide relief to the area. Some people find oil of cloves to be beneficial in relieving dental pain. Sometimes, rinsing your mouth with strongly brewed black tea relieves dental pain.

Yes; you have to pay for the crowns; and, if any of the above problems are present, it does not indicate negligence. Complications occur in the presence of the best of care. Get a second opinion from another dentist before jumping to any conculsion that the first dentist was negligent.

Good luck and best wishes,
EC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">