• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Littering

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ummonx

What is the name of your state?CT

This may seem a bit petty, its more the principle of the thing.

I live on a main rd, of course people too lazy to throw their garbage in a garbage can, toss it out the window and of course into my yard. On occation a tidbit or two of identifying information can be found (receipts etc). While there is nothing I would rather do then order that shiny new HD TV I have had my eye on, with their credit card number (usually provided on the receipts). That would of course be wrong.

My question is, would there be any basis in law to send perhaps a demand letter for a nominal damages (say $50 or $100) and/or bring them to small claims to ask for damages/court fees. (I can take pictures of the mess). As I said, its more the principle of the thing and to teach these people a lesson then to be looking for a payoff.

Thanks in advance

BL

Then call your local authorities and have the people that are littering ticketed.
They will get a fine .

Ummonx

even without seeing them throw the stuff out the window? I would have to expect that the police would kinda see this as a "we cant do anything without seeing them" type of thing

BL

at one time I worked for a town/village . People would illegally dump trash with identifying information . The Town/village would then send the offenders a ticket or appearance to pay a fine .

Have you even called to ask ?

Ummonx

nah, not yet.

just recently get fed up. I'll give that a shot first. If the police say they can't do anything are there any other options?

BL

I would call the town/village/City hall and ask them if or/and how you could handle this . They must have a dept. that handles illegal dumping .They could tell you if they allow individuals to make a complaint .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">