• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

seeking help for a couple of questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kmkb216

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Texas
I have a couple of questions regarding my recent "resignation". I worked in Texas for a company based in Los Angeles. My first question is do I just need to be concerned about employment law in Texas since that is where I was living and working?

I was asked to submit my resignation or fear termination for a laundry list of items that had been presented to me by my new supervisor of two and half weeks after having been employed for four years. I understand that my employment was at will, however the reasons given to me in pursuit of my resignation are not all true. When I asked to be provided with documentation I was denied. One of the items was a $60 shortage that occurred when I was not even present, yet I was being sought out to admit to theft. The remaining items did not have any documentation either, nor had I received any disciplinary action prior to my release. One of the issues I had received disciplinary action on was more than a year ago. This incident has caused a lot of confusion about how I see my career. My character has been degraded and I would like some advice as to what to do so that I may regain my dignity and right the wrong.

BelizeBreeze

My first question is do I just need to be concerned about employment law in Texas since that is where I was living and working?
Yes

My character has been degraded and I would like some advice as to what to do so that I may regain my dignity and right the wrong.
Get over it.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I understand that you are upset. I do not understand precisely what it is that you are asking.

Can you put it in the form of a question, please? :)

K

kmkb216

for cbg- thanks

Hi-
Thank you for your inquiry. I was being asked to admit to a $60 shortage that occurred when I was not present. I was not given any evidence as to why I was accused- even when I asked for it. Do they have to furnish me with that information? Especially since it can be proven through timekeeping record that I was not there.
The backup to this was being told I was not performing at an acceptable level. I have not had any prior written or verbal disciplinary action for performance related issues. There was one from over a year ago for a paperwork procedure. My consistent results contradict this. If the employment was at will anyway- why do something like this?
I am upset for the fact that this is slanderous and can be easily proven otherwise- yet I was still asked to resign.

Beth3

Do they have to furnish me with that information? No. Your employer is not a court of law; "evidence" isn't necessary. They may terminate you on suspicion alone, even if they are mistaken.

If the employment was at will anyway- why do something like this? Because employer's don't terminate employees on a whim or just for the fun of it. There is always a reason, even if it's a poor reason, a mistaken reason, etc.

I am upset for the fact that this is slanderous and can be easily proven otherwise- yet I was still asked to resign. Nothing in your post indicates that the elements of slander have been met, i.e. that they are knowingly lying or negligent in their statements, nor that they have been "broadcast to an audience." Statements made to YOU can never be slanderous, no matter how incorrect or even offensive.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">