• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fence issue - neighborliness

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

suburblues

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Idaho
This really isn't a legal question, more a matter of courtesy I guess. But maybe you have some advice, thank you. I live in a new home in a new subdivision.We just got neighbors on the east. We asked if they'd like to go in on a fence when we build one. He says no, they can't afford it, but go ah
ead. (like we needed his say so, LOL!) But, we understand, money is tight. We are still saving to afford our fence. But, not two weeks after this discussion, they adopt a dog, don't want it inside all the time, and start building a fence. He basically says to my husband, "here is your cost for your 1/2 of the fence between our homes." It was WAY more than the estimates we got, almost double, but he bought all the most expensive stuff. He did all the work too, even tho he did a pretty poor job. (slats are slanted, stain is drippy and blotchy). But, we figured, we had brought up sharing the cost first, and we'd go ahead and pay our half. We've just been waiting for payday. Then yesterday the neighbor says to my husband, "oh, I ended up needing more stain, so your cost is going to be $50.00 more." I'm ready to tell him, "forget it" we never made an actual agreement to pay half, he just ran with it, and it looks lousy anyway! But, we do have to live next to these people. I don't want to be a rotten neighbor...but, I don't want to pay too much money for a fence I had no say in looks-wise or material-wise especially when he seems to be copping an attitude. How can I remedy this in a way that will be acceptable to both parties? Thank you for your help.

Happy Trails

suburblues said:
This really isn't a legal question, more a matter of courtesy I guess. But maybe you have some advice, thank you. I live in a new home in a new subdivision.We just got neighbors on the east. We asked if they'd like to go in on a fence when we build one. He says no, they can't afford it, but go ah
ead. (like we needed his say so, LOL!) But, we understand, money is tight. We are still saving to afford our fence. But, not two weeks after this discussion, they adopt a dog, don't want it inside all the time, and start building a fence. He basically says to my husband, "here is your cost for your 1/2 of the fence between our homes." It was WAY more than the estimates we got, almost double, but he bought all the most expensive stuff. He did all the work too, even tho he did a pretty poor job. (slats are slanted, stain is drippy and blotchy). But, we figured, we had brought up sharing the cost first, and we'd go ahead and pay our half. We've just been waiting for payday. Then yesterday the neighbor says to my husband, "oh, I ended up needing more stain, so your cost is going to be $50.00 more." I'm ready to tell him, "forget it" we never made an actual agreement to pay half, he just ran with it, and it looks lousy anyway! But, we do have to live next to these people. I don't want to be a rotten neighbor...but, I don't want to pay too much money for a fence I had no say in looks-wise or material-wise especially when he seems to be copping an attitude. How can I remedy this in a way that will be acceptable to both parties? Thank you for your help.
**Since you had already figured you would go ahead with your half; why are you going to let $50.00 change your mind?

If you feel it is the principle of the matter b/c he didn't inform you prior and let you know just what sort of fence and estimated cost.... I can see it from your standpoint.

Possibly you can tell your neighbor that you would have liked to been in on some of the decision making. Show him your estimate and tell him that is what you were willing to pay; unless it is more than the half the neighbors asking.

Try to work things out, you might be neighbors for a long time. But I wouldn't start out letting a neighbor take advantage of me either.

HomeGuru

suburblues said:
**A: request a copy of his current survey showing the location of the fence.
Then do not pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">