• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dentist shaved a healthy tooth to make a crown fit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Y

yomuppet

What is the name of your state? California

Hi... I just wanted to get a quick opinion on whether the things my dentist is doing are correct. Thanks in advance.

First, in December of last year, I had minor discomfort while biting, on my rearmost lower tooth on the right side. I went into the dentist, and she said "well... there might be a little decay", and proceeded to do a filling. Next, in January of this year, I again noticed discomfort. I went back to the dentist, and her husband (husband + wife team of dentists) re-did the filling. Next, in August of this year, I began to notice discomfort again. The wife re-did the filling one more time. After this re-filling the pain was so bad I could not bite on the tooth at all, where previously the discomfort had only been minor while biting. The wife then decided the tooth would need a crown, as it might have a crack. She prepared it for a crown, and put on the temporary crown. The pain was no less with the temporary crown, so she sent me to an endodontist for a root canal. The root canal went perfectly, no problems. When I went back to the regular dentist to put on the permanent crown, she could not get the crown to fit properly, citing that the tooth somehow must have changed since she made the mold for the crown. Without giving me a chance to protest, she proceeded to shave down the cusp of the rearmost upper tooth on the right side (the tooth above the tooth to be crowned) to compensate, as she said she could not shave the crown down enough to make it fit.

I feel like this was definitely not the right thing to do, and that I have lost part of my healthy tooth as a result of bad judgment on the part of this dentist. This tooth is now rather "rounded-off", and no longer sharp like the tooth on the other side. I feel like I was wronged. Was this dentist in the right or the wrong? Is there any action I can reasonably take, other than going to a different dentist from this point forward?

Any and all opinions are welcome. Thank you.

teflon_jones

Even though you said it, I'm going to say it too:
Get another dentist!!! This woman doesn't seem to know what she's doing.

ellencee

yomuppet
I agree that you need another dentist but it is common practice to adjust the tooth above to make crowns fit properly. The upper tooth, if the filing was done properly, was not injured by the process.
EC

danwooden

Same thing happened to me

Hey the same thing happened to me

After my dentist put on my new gold crown it was obviously high and made contact before my other teeth when I bit down

My dentist was complaining about my short teeth and then took the drill to the opposite upper and filed that sucker down (it hurt a lot too)

After the fact the crowned tooth was great but I started having pain on the opposite upper. I went back and he said he only took off a "a high spot" of th enamel and didnt go through it so I shouldnt have much problem. After he put some anit-sensitivity stuff on it gradually went away but I was still a little concerned... it seems like a short cut to me from adjusting the crown and getting a real good fit there which could be expensive.

Now Im on my second crown with the same guy.. why?!! The temporary sucks and is killing me!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">