• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ingress/Egress problem - vindictive neighbor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

daybreak

What is the name of your state? New York

I live on a lake and have an older home that is on a private drive serving about 15 homes. The road is very narrow and also a dead end street. My parking area is extremely small - so small that I have just enough room to park my Tracker, but not turn around. Across the street there is plenty of parking and turnaround space. Until recently, one of these neighbors allowed me to turn around in his driveway and also let my visitors park there. He, Fred, unfortunately went in the nursing home and is not expected to return. The neighbor directly across from me 'larry' (who lives next door the the man in the nursing home) has decided he hates me and "wants to make my live miserable." I've tried to talk with him in a reasonable manner and find out what his issue is, but all he says is that he hates that I even exist and he wants to force me to move (my house blocks his view of the lake).
Anyway, there is really no other place for me to turn around (ingress/egress) and park in my driveway. Larry has now put up signs and given me a document saying I am not to turn around there anymore and obtained authorization from Fred in the nursing home to let him oversee his property any way he sees fit. I have visited Fred but his barely coherant after his stoke.

I've talked to the town, they say that since it is a private drive they have no jurisdiction.

I've looked at our deeds and both Fred's and Larry's have a statement about the lane (which is supposed to be 12 feet wide, but is now more like to 8) that reads... "subject to the rights of the owners and occupants of the other lots abutting on the lane hereinbefore described to and susch lane for the purpose of ingress and egress from respective properties...

Any advice?

snostar

If you can't turn it around in the private drive you'll just have to drive it to the nearest place you can turn it around. Out of curiosity, what are you doing using a tracker if you don't even have room to turn it around?

D

daybreak

thanks for the reply - It doesn't solve my dilemna because it would be difficult and dangerous to back down a narrow dead-end street esp. in the winter.
p.s. A Tracker is the smallest car I can think of to own. I use my car to get my son to school and to drive to/from work (100 miles away).

BelizeBreeze

So, unless I miss my guess, you're pissed because unlike millions of other people, you can't pull into your own driveway then, when it's time to leave, back out onto the road, and head out the right direction?

Driving lessons would be my first suggestion.

snostar

BelizeBreeze said:
Driving lessons would be my first suggestion.
A basic education would be my first suggestion.
A tractor is the smallest "car" this guy can think of to own.

nextwife

Is there NO yard space of YOURS on which you could place a narrow additional area to back the vehicle and turn around - even if it means removing a tree or two? There is NO front yard at all?

BTW- has anyone seen the SUV commercial where all the other "vehicles" that parents are driving are bulldozers and huge tractors? I think they say something like "Just how big does an SUV need to be?"

You Are Guilty

snostar said:
A basic education would be my first suggestion.
A tractor is the smallest "car" this guy can think of to own.
A "Tracker" and a "Tractor" are two very different things. The Tracker is made by Geo, is tiny, and is a piece of junk. A Tractor is often made by John Deere and are way cool if you like wearing overalls and own a still.

You Are Guilty

BelizeBreeze said:
:(( I guess that makes me just average cool. Mine is a ford diesel :((
Ah, but who makes your still?

And the problem with the Ford diesels is that while torquey, they don't have enough HP to outrun the revenoo'ers. :D

snostar

You Are Guilty said:
A "Tracker" and a "Tractor" are two very different things. The Tracker is made by Geo, is tiny, and is a piece of junk. A Tractor is often made by John Deere and are way cool if you like wearing overalls and own a still.
I thought it was a typo, and figured it had to be a tractor if he is having problems turning it around. I don't see why he can't turn a short narrow car like that around in an 8' wide road and his own drive.

D

daybreak

Thanks for your interest and comments. From the responses I received, I guess I didn't make my point clear... the question is about the legalities of ingress and egress - not about the size of my vehicle. FYI... There is only room to parallel park in my driveway - not pull in and out. Any legal comments would be appreciated.

HomeGuru

daybreak said:
Thanks for your interest and comments. From the responses I received, I guess I didn't make my point clear... the question is about the legalities of ingress and egress - not about the size of my vehicle. FYI... There is only room to parallel park in my driveway - not pull in and out. Any legal comments would be appreciated.

**A: you have the right to egress/ingress, legally speaking.

nextwife

It's hard to believe that there is NO spot on your property along your drive in which you could pave a pad at a right angle to use for turn-around. Does the house take up the entire lot?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">