• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tentative Resignation Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MMontagna

What is the name of your state? GA, NV

First, I need to go into detail why there are two states present. The corperate office is in Reno, NV, while I worked in Augusta, GA for the company.

I have been a hard-worker, and have contributed quite a bit to the betterment of the company, but I would assume that is irrelavant for my question.

I had come on with the company with a verbal promise (which I know probably holds no legality) that after six months to a year I could move up in the company to find a better position. By working from the ground up 'I could become more of an asset for the company'.

Well, after a full year of requesting and waiting, the oppertunity never arose. I then informed the company that I would be looking to other companies to find my desired position. After stating this, I was asked for a resignation a number of times. Thier claim was so that it would enable them to begin hiring a replacement. I stated to them I would be willing to train the new hire and work as needed, but I am sure this is irrelevant also.

After being asked for a resignation quite a few times, I finally decided to give them a 'tentative' resignation through an e-mail. This email, of course, was not signed, and no orignals are held on the company's servers.

I heard nothing from the company until the date of my 'tenative resignation', at which point they asked me how long I planned on working, and I let them know at least a month longer. The offered me a week. I objected, but said if they felt it was best for the company I guess I had no choice.

Is there anything I can do about this? Is there any type of case, or more importantly, do you feel unemployment should be obtainable? I feel as though I were pushed out from the company because I was being 'nice' and letting the company I was looking elsewhere so they had time to be prepared when I left. They were prepared alright, but I dont know if this is kosher or not. Thanks for your reply.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You are lucky that they did not ask you to leave the same day you notified them that you were looking for other work. They could have done so and it would have been entirely legal.

There is no such thing as a tentative resignation. Either you resigned or you didn't. The fact that it was an e-mail and not signed is immaterial.

They have done nothing illegal.

Whether or not you are entitled to unemployment will depend upon your state's laws. You can always apply; the worst that can happen is that you are denied.

M

MMontagna

Thank you.

Thank you for the advise. I do see now that it would probably be in my best interests in the future to look out more for myself than for the company I work for when it comes to matters such as this. A company can probably deal without a single person for awhile, but a single person has a tough time without a job. :)

I do appreciate it, and have a great day.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Exactly. It's to your credit that you gave them advance warning, but it was NOT smart ( :) ). There are some things it just doesn't pay to share with your employer, and the fact that you're looking for a new job is one of them.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">