• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be sued?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Paul1680

What is the name of your state? Michigan

My former employer (a corporation) has exclusive contracts to represent and sell equipment in the state of Michigan. I worked for this employer as an independent contrator. I did not sign an employment agreement that describes, hiring, firing, expectations or non-compete clause. During the course of employment, I developed relationships with companies that do not offer an exclusive representation agreement with the former employer. I have been threatened with legal action should I continue to pursue these "non-exclusive" companies. Since there is no written agreement between the former employer, the "non-exclusive" companies or myself, can this former employer take legal action against me?

BelizeBreeze

There is Way too much information missing.

First off, there is no such thing as a statewide exclusive contract to sell anything. So, this is probably an exclusive territory agreement from the manufacturer of the equipment.

Second, you don't say whether or not you are selling the same equipment or another manufacturer's line.

And lastly, yes, they could sue you. Hell, I could sue you. Whether or not they would win depends on what they sue for, how strong their case is and how much money you're willing to spend.

Now, how about specifics?

P

Paul1680

More information for BelizeBreeze

Paul1680 said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

My former employer (a corporation) has exclusive contracts to represent and sell equipment in the state of Michigan. I worked for this employer as an independent contrator. I did not sign an employment agreement that describes, hiring, firing, expectations or non-compete clause. During the course of employment, I developed relationships with companies that do not offer an exclusive representation agreement with the former employer. I have been threatened with legal action should I continue to pursue these "non-exclusive" companies. Since there is no written agreement between the former employer, the "non-exclusive" companies or myself, can this former employer take legal action against me?
BelizeBreeze,

You are correct. This is an exclusive territory agreement to represent and sell equipment for a manufacturer. I want to sell, in your words, "another manufacturer's line." I have no interest in selling equipment for which my former employer has existing territory agreements.

BelizeBreeze

Then pay $200 to $400 for a local consultation with an Employment attorney. But IF you signed no non-compete or otherwise a document which limited your scope, tell the ex employer to watch your dust. :D

P

Paul1680

What a service!

Paul1680 said:
BelizeBreeze,

You are correct. This is an exclusive territory agreement to represent and sell equipment for a manufacturer. I want to sell, in your words, "another manufacturer's line." I have no interest in selling equipment for which my former employer has existing territory agreements.

To the FreeAdvice website and to BelizeBreeze,

Who would have thought that help desperately needed was keystroke away. Thank you very much.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">