• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The Fourth Amendment: Protecting Your Privacy!IS THIS LEGAL?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

employeeri

What is the name of your state?From Rhode Island:
I recently learned via text message that my employer has entered the locker room and removed all contents of lockers. Personal belongings are being kept in managers office until employees return to work as some of us are on our scheduled days off. Obviously employees were not informed of this act prior to it happening and some will simply find out when they return to work.
Breaking locks, entering lockers, removing personal items, placing items in managers office for days all without notification. IS THIS LEGAL?

Let me also ad that a similar act occured several months ago a supervisor removed all belongings from an onsite coat room while employees were diligently working placed all items together in a big trash bag and placed them in locked office until the end of the shift when he then held the bag in front while we were all being breifed by upper management. To our shock he removed items from the bag one at at time placing them in a pile and going through pockets.

CdwJava

Well, it's not a 4th Amendment violation if your employer does it - only if the search was conducted by the government. There may be some violation of state labor or employment law, but it is not a Civil Rights matter.

And the employer may have had a valid reason to do this. There may have been a pressing need that they felt needed to be immediately addressed. And since it apparently applied to everyone evenly, I do not know if there is much that can be done unless someonse suffered a loss of their job or property due to the employer entering the lockers.

- Carl

BelizeBreeze

don't bring personal items to work. The lockers are owned by the company, NOT the employee. And yes, the search is legal as long as it is applied uniformly and with good cause.

So, how much do you and your co-workers want to spend proving it was conducted without good cause? $50,000, $100,000 or would you rather just leave personal belongings at home?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">