• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Resignation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Juan Montoya

California.
I am a teacher, first year. I have been working for this school district for a little over 4 weeks. I have decided to quit my job, but I am under a one year contract. I have decided to quit because I can't survive economically with what I'm getting paid. Can I legally quit and could the district sue?

J

Juan Montoya

BelizeBreeze said:
yes and yes.

and maybe, depending on the exact wording of your contract and any compensatory clauses.
The contract is "an emergency contract" since I am not a fully credentialed teacher. The contract is one page and does not say anything about compensatory clause.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, you can quit. Indentured servitude has been outlawed in this country for quite some time now.

Whether or not you can quit WITHOUT CONSEQUENCES, however, and what those consequences would be, and whether they would involve a lawsuit, depends on the exact wording of the contract. You will need to show it to a local attorney.

BTW, if you resign under the circumstances you describe you will NOT be eligible for unemployment. If you're having a hard time making ends meet while you are working, you'd better have a plan for how you're going to do it on no income at all.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">